You should've tried to get it factory unlocked before renewing/upgrading.
AT&T (I'm assuming that's what carrier you have) will only factory unlock it under all these conditions:
- You have paid all fees, bills, etc.
- The iPhone is locked to AT&T
- The iPhone has never been reported as lost or stolen
- You are a current AT&T customer, or a former AT&T customer that can provide AT&T with your old number
- YOU HARASS THEM SO MUCH THAT THEY GET SUPER ANNOYED
But unfortunately, you already decided to upgrade, so no.