1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 6:18 PM by Csound1 Go to original post
  • 15. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (12,205 points)

    Csound1 wrote: In my experience Apple cooling system works, overheating machines have other issues that should be cured rather than disguised by running the fans at high speed permanently

    I never mentioned overheating machines. That is your invention. I really don't have the patience for this discussion yet again. I've responded in full elsewhere on numerous occasions. If you care to, just do a search using the terms "smcFan + WZZZ site:discussions.apple.com"

     

    I don't use it to disguise or mask the symptoms of an overheating machine, although the native SMC fan controller can be one cause of that, since Apple appears to prefer quiet running fans to cooler hardware and doesn't allow the fans to ramp up sufficiently fast enough to meet changing conditions. I use it to prevent hardware damage long term.

     

    I'll take the word of a very knowledgeable Apple bench tech with considerable experience with machines that failed due to Apple's SMC fan design over yours any day.

  • 16. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    MichelPM Level 6 Level 6 (8,070 points)

    I couldn't agree more!

    ;)

  • 17. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,265 points)

    WZZZ wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote: In my experience Apple cooling system works, overheating machines have other issues that should be cured rather than disguised by running the fans at high speed permanently

    I never mentioned overheating machines. That is your invention. I really don't have the patience for this discussion yet again. I've responded in full elsewhere on numerous occasions. If you care to, just do a search using the terms "smcFan + WZZZ site:discussions.apple.com"

     

    I don't use it to disguise or mask the symptoms of an overheating machine, although the native SMC fan controller can be one cause of that, since Apple appears to prefer quiet running fans to cooler hardware and doesn't allow the fans to ramp up sufficiently fast enough to meet changing conditions. I use it to prevent hardware damage long term.

     

    I'll take the word of a very knowledgeable Apple bench tech with considerable experience with machines that failed due to Apple's SMC fan design over yours any day.

    And you are free to do that, I on the other hand have never found a need to augment or assist the cooling system, there is always a reason for high temperatures, Smc is a panacea for a sympton, not a cure.

    As we obviously disagree you just carry on with the advice you give and I will carry on with mine.

  • 18. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (12,205 points)

    You can disagree, that's fine. But I think you should be supplying facts and evidence to support your opinion -- which you still have not done --not simply reply with a pat, throw-off answer, as you did. Otherwise, I think it is fair to completely ignore what you say.

  • 19. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,265 points)

    WZZZ wrote:

     

    You can disagree, that's fine. But I think you should be supplying facts and evidence to support your opinion -- which you still have not done --not simply reply with a pat, throw-off answer, as you did. Otherwise, I think it is fair to completely ignore what you say.

    Facts and evidence?

     

    Every Mac I have ever seen with a heat problem (that may have caused a user to play with fan control) had a separate issue causing high CPU usage, once that was fixed the temperature declined to safe levels.

     

    Now, how about some facts and evidence from you that SMC is required to keep a Mac cool (note that I have not said there is anything wrong with SMC, just that it is not necessary and can disguise symptoms that should be attended to rather than disguised)

  • 20. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (12,205 points)

    Every Mac I have ever seen with a heat problem (that may have caused a user to play with fan control) had a separate issue causing high CPU usage, once that was fixed the temperature declined to safe levels.

    That's a very narrow base of evidence. Like an inexperienced auto mechanic claiming that the only reason for engine failure is a failed oil pump, because that's the only kind of engine failure he's ever seen. And exactly how many of those high CPU usage-smcFan scenarios did you witness? Five, six, ten, a hundred, four hundred? Anything statistically meaningful? I haven't encountered one here yet. I wouldn't call this great science on your part.

     

    The HD fan in most Intel Macs, to my knowledge, will not ramp up until the temp has reached well into the 50s C, getting uncomfortably close to the upper temperature limit for most drives, which may be 55C. I never once saw the HD fan in my G5 ramp up above the default, even in the low 50s. This is only one of a number of reasons to use smcFan, as I can keep the drive cooler than Apple would normally allow. I want to keep this computer going for as long as possible, and smcFan is one tool to help me do that.

     

    You might want to acquaint yourself with this article on heat and drive damage. It's from several years ago, but no less relevant today. Drive technology is still pretty much the same.

     

    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/12/hard-drive-temperatures-be-afraid.html

     

    And it's not only the drive that will eventually fail from long term sub-lethal heat.

     

    If it's not necessary, you don't have to use it. It may not be needed by everyone, but don't, out of ignorance, tell others not to.

    ...note that I have not said there is anything wrong with SMC, just that it is not necessary

    No, this is what you said when you first bombed into this thread.

     

    Good, now leave smcfancontrol off the machine permanently, it is of no value at all.

    I'm finished here.

  • 21. Re: proper temperature for iMac
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,265 points)

    WZZZ wrote:

     

    Every Mac I have ever seen with a heat problem (that may have caused a user to play with fan control) had a separate issue causing high CPU usage, once that was fixed the temperature declined to safe levels.

    That's a very narrow base of evidence. Like an inexperienced auto mechanic claiming that the only reason for engine failure is a failed oil pump, because that's the only kind of engine failure he's ever seen. And exactly how many of those high CPU usage-smcFan scenarios did you witness? Five, six, ten, a hundred, four hundred? Anything statistically meaningful? I haven't encountered one here yet. I wouldn't call this great science on your part.

     

    The HD fan in most Intel Macs, to my knowledge, will not ramp up until the temp has reached well into the 50s C, getting uncomfortably close to the upper temperature limit for most drives, which may be 55C. I never once saw the HD fan in my G5 ramp up above the default, even in the low 50s. This is only one of a number of reasons to use smcFan, as I can keep the drive cooler than Apple would normally allow. I want to keep this computer going for as long as possible, and smcFan is one tool to help me do that.

     

    You might want to acquaint yourself with this article on heat and drive damage. It's from several years ago, but no less relevant today. Drive technology is still pretty much the same.

     

    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/12/hard-drive-temperatures-be-afraid.html

     

    And it's not only the drive that will eventually fail from long term sub-lethal heat.

     

    If it's not necessary, you don't have to use it. It may not be needed by everyone, but don't, out of ignorance, tell others not to.

    ...note that I have not said there is anything wrong with SMC, just that it is not necessary

    No, this is what you said when you first bombed into this thread.

     

    Good, now leave smcfancontrol off the machine permanently, it is of no value at all.

    I'm finished here.

    You post extracts from my post (only the bits that suit you) and then twist what is left, show me where I have said that SMC is anything other than 'of no value' Then you fail to offer any 'Evidence or Facts' supporting your claim that Apple's cooling is inadequate. (Other than an ancient article). But you are right, you are done with me, I see you now.

1 2 Previous Next