Currently Being ModeratedJul 31, 2012 7:50 AM (in response to biglouie48)
Try removing the Genius database. In the "Finder" go to the /username/Music/iTunes/ folder and delete the "iTunes Library Genius.itdb" file. This may allow the program to launch again. This file will be recreated upon first use of the "Genius" feature.
Currently Being ModeratedJul 31, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to Jim VanLeeuwen)
Thanks Jim, but it did not do it for my problem. iTunes still quits on start-up !!!
Currently Being ModeratedJul 31, 2012 10:53 AM (in response to biglouie48)
Download iTunes 10.6.3 from this direct link and install it over your current installation. There's no need to delete anything. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1426
Currently Being ModeratedAug 1, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to Jim VanLeeuwen)
Thanks Jim, but I had tried that already. I tried it again, from your link, same problem, again, iTunes quits unexpectedly !!!
Currently Being ModeratedAug 1, 2012 7:08 AM (in response to biglouie48)
Restart your computer, and if that still doesn't work try uninstalling the entire iTunes app and reinstalling with a clean slate. There might be a corrupted file or something that's staying when you install updates over it.
Currently Being ModeratedAug 1, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to frameworkforpro)
I won't loose all my songs and other things that are in iTunes, will I ??? If I save my iTunes library, can I just drop the library onto iTunes to get it back ??
Currently Being ModeratedAug 1, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to biglouie48)
Let's keep it simple...
1) Make a new user - the steps are in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199
2) Log into that user, open iTunes, agree, etc. - it will probably work
3) If it does, it tells us that iTunes (the program) is fine but it's encountering something unexpected
4) Go back to your user, and try to open iTunes while holding option and making a new library - like suggested in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589
5) Your iTunes will be empty. This is ok. Your files are not touched by this process.
6) If iTunes doesn't quit when loading an empty library, you could try rebuilding the iTunes Library as Apple documents in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451
7) If iTunes does quit, it could be trying to grab something - like photo information to sync to your iPad - and that's where it finds the unexpected data. Maybe try moving the iPod Photo Cache? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1324 should guide you for how to do that.
If you tell us whether it is library-specific, user-specific, or system-wide (happens in both users), we could maybe give you better advice on what's going on.'
If the new user has the same behavior, maybe remove the SC Info folder - there are not many system-wide files iTunes touches. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1389 covers how to remove that invisible folder.
iTunes uses /Applications/iTunes.app, /Users/Shared/SC Info, ~/Music/iTunes/ and ~/Library/Preferences/ and a bunch of other files. I don't think focusing on /Applications/iTunes/app or other system-wide files is going to be as effective as knowing whether the issue is system-wide or user-specific.
I hope this helps and feel free to reply if this is all confusing.
Currently Being ModeratedAug 2, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to Teiws)
Hi MY Friend,That was confusing, but……… I managed to, make a new user - logged into that user - opened iTunes, it immediately quit unexpectedly - I tried making a new library, it quit unexpectedly, again - Here's where I got stopped, Step 7, I couldn't find the iPod Photo Cache, the document that you gave me sent me to a page that says something about MS Outlook. Send me a new document about the iPod Cache and I do what it says. Thank you for all your help so far, at least you've got me doing something to solve the problem !!!!
Currently Being ModeratedMar 25, 2013 3:06 PM (in response to biglouie48)
I'm having the same problem, a continuation of the terrible crashing problem before i updated the os. I see mac is no longer responding to these problems. SHAME ON THEM!!! They have released an os and an itunes that STINKS!!!!!!!!!!
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points