1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 372 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2014 3:59 PM by helloeverybod Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 45. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Dude Pare Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I'm seeing the same thing on 2 iphone 5 units. It's only lasting half of what we used to get with the iPhone 4. I'm with Arkanok, the usage stats on the phones are suspect. It appears that usage + standby > than the total time its been unplugged. How is this calculated exactly?

  • 46. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Mini-Mac Level 3 Level 3 (785 points)

    neth holden wrote:

     

    Try doing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. I had an overheating, battery-draining iPhone 5 yesterday, and the reset seems to have fixed that. Battery life was reasonable today, and the back of the phone was no longer hot.

     

    A restore would probably also work, but a reset takes much less time.

     

    It seems to be similar to the bug that hit many people in the iOS 4 -> 5 update last year.

     

    This not only helped......It cured my problem.

  • 47. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    rjpalumbo24 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Excellent test. This tells us something.

  • 48. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Arkanok Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Mini-Mac wrote:

     

    neth holden wrote:

     

    Try doing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. I had an overheating, battery-draining iPhone 5 yesterday, and the reset seems to have fixed that. Battery life was reasonable today, and the back of the phone was no longer hot.

     

    A restore would probably also work, but a reset takes much less time.

     

    It seems to be similar to the bug that hit many people in the iOS 4 -> 5 update last year.

     

    This not only helped......It cured my problem.

    I could try this, however, I've already done a full restore once without using my backup file in iTunes, I completely went from scratch. To me, resetting all settings seems like it would accomplish the same thing as doing a restore and not restoring from a backup. Though, I suppose anyhting is worth a try at this point.

  • 49. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Arkanok,

     

    Do you have iCloud and/or sync via wifi activated?    I believe that when you first set up the phone and get it configured, is does an awful lot of behind the scenes activity, syncing and backing up.   Seems that mine did this most of Friday and Saturday, then seems to have settled down since then.  

     

    There have also been a large number of app updates to deal with and I'm guessing that as you update them, the backup/syncing thing will kick in again, to keep everything current.   Don't panic and give it a few days.

     

    ALSO --- Remember that the 4s suffered from poorer battery life than did the 4.   The 5, with only a very slightly larger battery, will probably never live up to the battery life of the 4, but will HOPEFULLY, be slightly better than the 4s.   We'll see.

  • 50. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Mini-Mac Level 3 Level 3 (785 points)

    With my phone plugged into power I reset the setting, battery percent showed 100%.  Now nearly 2 hours later I'm still at 100%.  Before I would have dropped probably to 92-94% after disconnecting the power and readjusting the settings

  • 51. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Dude Pare Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    In googling the issue I came across this tool: Carat http://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/2012/06/14/carat-now-on-ios-and-android/

     

    It's supposed to capture stats to help diagnose battery issues.  I've just installed it and will run it for 24 hours.  I'll post the results here.  Would be helpful if others install and do the same - for analysis.

     

    Unfortunately though I've already tried and reset my settings. Hopefully I'll be able to replicate the issue.

  • 52. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    dayromper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Guys, I did a reset of my Iphone and started using it at full charge.

     

    With LTE and Siri turned off, i basically used it to make calls n send messages using whatsapp n the native message app.

     

    It has been 6 hrs and I still have 90% battery life left, so that's excellent!

     

    It used to drain at least 40-50% even when left idling overnight with all programs turned off.

     

    Resetting might be te key to the battery life problem.

  • 53. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    bubbafrombama Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Are the "resets" most are trying a full start fr scratch without a backup fresh copy of iOS 6, just for craps and giggles?

  • 54. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Arkanok Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    Arkanok,

     

    Do you have iCloud and/or sync via wifi activated?    I believe that when you first set up the phone and get it configured, is does an awful lot of behind the scenes activity, syncing and backing up.   Seems that mine did this most of Friday and Saturday, then seems to have settled down since then.  

     

    There have also been a large number of app updates to deal with and I'm guessing that as you update them, the backup/syncing thing will kick in again, to keep everything current.   Don't panic and give it a few days.

     

    ALSO --- Remember that the 4s suffered from poorer battery life than did the 4.   The 5, with only a very slightly larger battery, will probably never live up to the battery life of the 4, but will HOPEFULLY, be slightly better than the 4s.   We'll see.

    I do have iCloud and sync via wifi activated, yes. To my knowlage though, sync via wifi shouldn't actually do much of any syncing unless I tell it too, and even still, 5 hours and 38 minutes of usage from being idle overnight is much too excessive. I don't have iCloud backups enabled though, my backups are still set to my computer.

     

    But, just for comparison reasons, with my iPhone 4, I've had all of the same things set, iCloud always on and sync over wifi.

     

    But, I've just done a reset of settings on the phone and I'll see how things fare in a short time.

  • 55. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    dayromper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I hit 'reset all settings'.

     

    Battery life is sweet right after that.

  • 56. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Arkanok Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    dayromper wrote:

     

    I hit 'reset all settings'.

     

    Battery life is sweet right after that.

    Sadly, not for me..

  • 57. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    dayromper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Sorry to hear that.

     

    The lady from Apple Support told me to do a full reset (complete wipe of all data) IF reset doesn't work.  If that fails, then grab your phone and head for the one for one exchange.

  • 58. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    I know we find this difficult, but I would suggest the following:

     

    Once you have dones the netowrk reset thing, LEAVE THE PHONE ALONE FOR A FEW DAYS.   Use it as normal, charge is as necessary, but stop fiddling with settings and let things settle out.   Mine was performing poorly for the first two days, but by Sunday, it seems that it has settled out nicely.

  • 59. Re: Poor Battery Life iPhone5
    chandhera Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    thank you it works....

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next