1 266 267 268 269 270 Previous Next 9,472 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2014 6:02 AM by superflatsonic Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 4,005. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    my-username-was-taken Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    quintex wrote:

     

    This is a bit off topic but the white point of my Samsung display is exactly at 6500K based on measurements with an i1Display Pro. This is a typical white point of most LCD displays.

     

    In regards to another post, you should not adjust the white point of an LCD monitor through calibration (unlike CRT monitors). Any adjustments with an ICC profile simply make changes to your graphics card which greatly reduces the amount of colors you have to work with. This is especially true for laptop displays since they are only 6-bit.

     

    True, for color sensitive work. However if you're simply looking to regain the cooler tones that you may be missing after a change from LG to Samsung, you can make eye-ball adjustments in the color settings under "Displays" in the control panel. For every day uses, watching videos, etc. this should be ok.

     

    I wouldn't adjust it there if I were trying to calibrate it for photo/design work. Sorry if my other post suggested that was a good idea for that kind of purpose.

  • 4,006. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    mcbaobao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I have seen yellow tinted samsung displays and bright white samsung displays - anyone know if the bright white ones were limited to the first month or so of these laptops? I had one on my first laptop which had a large mura and I've seen them on display models which I'm assuming are from first couple weeks of production - but not sure if these still exist in current production.

  • 4,007. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    bentley123456 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I have the white point set at 6800 which gives it a somewhat cooler tone which I prefer.

  • 4,008. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    DomdiDom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    IR, dented, scratched, light bleed, improper colours, yellow look, not bright enough, etc etc. Great idea getting the work done in China.

     

    I read that it would cost Apple an extra 5% to get the work done in North America, and of course get the quality back to where it used to be. 5%, I'm pretty sure most apple users who already over pay, would pay that 5% and you'd see a lot less of these kind of threads. I'm sure there's more of these threads to come btw Apple.

     

    If you won't handle the quality control, your customers will, with their wallets.

  • 4,009. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    J.K. ROFLing wrote:

     

    rrahimi wrote:

     

     

    Dont feed "it"

     

     

    True. I shouldn't.

    OK, I understand...no disagreement with the current opinion is allowed and will be ridiculed and shouted down. Only posts agreeing with the mob will be tolerated.

     

    Enjoy your collective misery.

     

    You're getting these responses because you have no idea what you're talking about, and it's making you appear really stupid. I think they're just trying to spare you the embarassment. Oh...and your posts will live in infamy.

     

  • 4,010. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Dark Ayla Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    TROLL

  • 4,011. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    YourGuide Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

  • 4,012. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    YourGuide wrote:

     

    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

     

    I DO know that, and you are right. However, if you're implying that the image retention issue has been overblown, then you've obviously never really seen it or you don't understand the issue.

  • 4,013. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    YourGuide Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    I am not implying that the issue has been overblown... I just had my rMBP screen replaced due to a dead pixel and IR. The IR issue is real and was VERY noticeable to me. I was able to display it to an Apple Genius within 5 minutes at the bar. 

    What I was implying with my comment was that we don't need to all go running around shouting "foul" from the rooftops just yet.  I have personally been very satisfied with Apple's handling of my screen... Therefore, that is all I can comment on. If others have had bad experiences with Apple support... My only comment is another wise saying. You will catch more flies with sugar, than vinegar.

  • 4,014. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    YourGuide Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Oh, and after reading j.k. Rofling's post... I did have to laugh. It is so NOT to be expected with "these type of displays" and is a serious issue in my opinion.... This is the world's first laptop to have screens like this.... I'm accustomed to being on the "bleeding" edge of technology.....  I'm just glad Apple seems to be handling this the right way.... As least for me. :)

  • 4,015. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    DomdiDom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Sure, they deny there's anything wrong with the screens, despite the fact that everyone can see the problem.

     

    They create a fake test to enable there stores and online staff to blow people off.

     

    They send people on their way that ask for their computer screens to be fixed because they've passed the fake test.

     

    They knowingly continue to sell defective computers with these screens.

     

    etc etc.

     

    Yup, they're handling it perfectly for their shareholders but not quite the "right" way to do things if you have any respect for your customers.

     

    This is the behavior of a company that has no fear due to the lack of regulations governing consumer protection.

     

    In short, in my world, this is a crime.

     

    Apple is behaving absolutely shamefully. PERIOD.

  • 4,016. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    YourGuide Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    See, I can't comment on those bullet points because none of that has happened to ME.... If you have personal experience with all those issues... Then your points are valid. 

    My first post to this thread was MY rMBP being replaced due to a dead pixel... But the image retention was very bad also.

    The Genius made note of the IR, stating I was able to reproduce it in "just a few minutes"..... and they replaced my screen with a Samsung within 2 hours of me walking through the door. That was a pleasing experience for me as a customer..... One could argue that I should never have had the issues in the first place... But there are no "perfect" products..... Especially in version 1.0

    If Apple refuses to acknowledge this issue and refuses to fix users screens.... I agree, that would be very wrong... Because having experienced it first hand... The IR issue is no joke.... A serious problem if you use an external display along with your Retina as I was when I first noticed it.

    I guess time will tell....

    In the meantime, may all your retina displays be Samsung... I wish you well my friend. :)

  • 4,017. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    YourGuide wrote:

     

    See, I can't comment on those bullet points because none of that has happened to ME.... If you have personal experience with all those issues... Then your points are valid. 

    My first post to this thread was MY rMBP being replaced due to a dead pixel... But the image retention was very bad also.

    The Genius made note of the IR, stating I was able to reproduce it in "just a few minutes"..... and they replaced my screen with a Samsung within 2 hours of me walking through the door. That was a pleasing experience for me as a customer..... One could argue that I should never have had the issues in the first place... But there are no "perfect" products..... Especially in version 1.0

    If Apple refuses to acknowledge this issue and refuses to fix users screens.... I agree, that would be very wrong... Because having experienced it first hand... The IR issue is no joke.... A serious problem if you use an external display along with your Retina as I was when I first noticed it.

    I guess time will tell....

    In the meantime, may all your retina displays be Samsung... I wish you well my friend. :)

     

    Yes, from your point of you, I see where you're coming from. You did receive good service. If all of our experiences were like yours, then no one would really have much right to complain, in my eyes anyway. I actually don't fault Apple for the IR problem itself, because I see it as an LG QA issue. Even in my experience, although a pain in the behind, I was dealt with courteously. However, that was not the case with many of us. The fact that Apple is saying that this is normal behaviour and developed a bogus test is very telling.

  • 4,018. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Steve Maximus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    If Apple admit a fault that becomes global news. A few billion people read about it. Many of them may be future Apple customers. If Apple stays silent then only a few hundred thousand people know about the issue. Plus of they publicly talk about LG displays being bad, and Samsung displays being good, it hurts LG and helps Samsung. They are in a mobile phone war with Samsung and trying to partner with LG in the future. So they won't hurt their ally and help their enemy. Apple lost their champion of the customer being Stve Jobs. Now they have a champion of profits being Tim Cook. Expect more of this profit driven behavior in the future. The old Apple is gone. Now they are Microsoft Mark II. Or "The New Microsoft." Just give it time. All the signs of their changed corporate philosophy are there.

  • 4,019. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    rrahimi Level 3 Level 3 (615 points)

    What I was implying with my comment was that we don't need to all go running around shouting "foul" from the rooftops just yet. 

     

    This thread discovered the symptoms, the source of the problem, the problem being limited to LG. The news reports spawned off from this thread. It was here that people came up with the checkerboard and figured the difference between the two IPS technologies used.

     

    Apple based their test on this thread's test (albeit theirs is made to hide the result as much as possible).

     

    If it wasn't for this thread Apple would still be denying the problem as they have always done until complaints rose.

     

    You (and everyone else with an LG retina) should be grateful to participants in this thread for what you called "rooftop shouting" rather than dismissive. So should Apple for leaving their QA job to customers of particularly expensive products.