Currently Being ModeratedMar 25, 2011 10:58 AM (in response to Viztang)I was having the same problem, but after I Iet it run for about 2 hrs it went back to normal. I think it was re-indexing since I had just installed the 10.6.7 OSX update.MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4GB
Currently Being ModeratedApr 6, 2011 1:47 AM (in response to Viztang)same problem here.
Running office 2010
Having an external (network) 'dropbox' drive.
Processing to 100%, due to mdworker32.
- checked via the activity monitor which files where listed and found 2 excell files with .xlsx
- these where saved there by another person from an Microsoft machine.
- opened the files, saved them as .xls and deleted the .xlsx versions.
Processing went back to 'normal' ..macbook alu 2.4 dual - 4 gig, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2011 7:44 PM (in response to OverPowerFred)
Thanks for this. I was having issues doing an initial TC backup to an external RAID 1 HD. Kept freezing at various stages of the backup. Removed the Microsoft Office.mdimporter files and the backup re-engaged and is moving along nicely.
Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.7
2TB G-Drive External - Firewire
Currently Being ModeratedSep 1, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to Blurred Vision)
Same problem here.
Used: Activity monitor, select the mdworker32 process, click "inspect" and select "Open Files & Ports"
Found an .xlsx file that was emailed as an attachment. I had opened and closed the attachment, and left excel open, then forwarded the message with attachment. "Open Files & Ports" showed the same filename listed twice.
I closed excel and restarted mail.app and the problem went away.
Currently Being ModeratedOct 2, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to mileszhou)
I found this thread while searching for mdworker32 problems. It had started causing mutiple crashes on my iMac a few days ago and became almost continuous yesterday. The crash reports usually said the same thing. I never tried reading/understanding those reports but I finally noticed it was claiming an 'importer' file in a word processor I rarely use anymore was the possible problem. I had tried many changes, removing things from the Startup Items list, etc. to no avail. However, I also found Time Machine stalling and decided I needed to do something. Activity Monitor was showing 100%+ almost constantly for mdworker32!
I followed the path the crash report gave, found the "WriteImporter.mdimporter" file and compressed it and then deleted it. Restarted. Not had a crash for any reason for over 24 hours! mdworker32 doesn't even show up in AM!
1. Look at those crash reports more carefully! Some of it is actually in English!
2. Try removing the file(s) that are reported by those crash reports, but make a copy before deleting them, they may not be the direct cause of a problem.
I've established a habit of always copressing the current version of any app before I install an update. That's a safe method to use when you suspect a pref file to be corrupted; Quuit the app, compress its plist, then just move the original to the Desktop and restart the app.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 21, 2013 11:09 AM (in response to Viztang)
I had problems with mdworker32 hogging CPU when I created a backup drive. It really got bad using Time Machine. The problem was solved when I added the backup drive to the privacy list under Spotlight preferences.