Currently Being ModeratedJan 29, 2012 4:12 AM (in response to bookarts)
UPDATE: Once again, did exactly as bookarts suggested and now everything seems to be just fine. The preview shows on my book managing page. THANKS!!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 31, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to johnfromsandusky)
I'm trying to create a free textbook for a charity. I am also having the same problem, there is no box for publication preview in iTunes Producer.
I have a feeling that it is not available for free books.
Which makes it difficult to make free books.
And another point, if it is a free book, what file do I use on the charity website so that people can install the book on their ipads.
Have sent 2 emails to Apple and not replied to it yet.
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 17, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to bookarts)
What bookarts said worked! You just have to follow it step by step and it'll work.
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 22, 2012 4:34 AM (in response to bookarts)
So it seems that the preview book is not required for a free textbook. There is no explanation of this anywhere but my textbook has recently been added to the iBookstore so I know this to be true. A couple of things I've worked out:
1. The approval process is slow. It took nearly a month for my book to be made available and in this time there was no information from Apple, no clarity on the iTunes Connect website or anywhere else.
2. You do not need a preview version for free textbooks.
3. iBook Author is buggy and drops images and things if you are not careful. This seems linked to not opening the file for a while, Lion 'locking it' and then things getting messed up. Before you upload therefore make sure you have checked the content is ok.
4. iTunes Producer and iBook Author do not really work together very well. I think it is best to export your iBook from iBook Author, then create the package (and/or edit the old package) in iTunes Producer before uploading to iTunes.
5. I have not yet discovered any stats for the iBook downloads, and it is very opaque as to updating the iBook (you have to use the same package which has a ref number in it). I am waiting to see how/when the package updates on iBooks store.
6. You need to update the publication date in the package when uploading a new version.
7. As far as I can see there is no version numbering that you can provide... which would have been handy for tracking the iBook.
Hope that is useful.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 23, 2012 12:15 PM (in response to bookarts)
If I can add a piece of advice for all those who did not succeed in uploading the Preview: Here is what you need to do. Duplicate your book. Then re-save it under the name preview. Then delete all chapters you do not wish to have included in the preview. Re-save. Then select File, EXPORT. No one explained that you need to EXPORT the file! So once it is exported, you will see in ibooks Producer that your file will not be grayed out like it was before, instead it will be named "preview.ibooks" and you will be able to add it, and hopefully get you approved and into the ibookstore. Just submitted by book today and hoping for the best!
Currently Being ModeratedMar 23, 2012 4:27 PM (in response to JulieFine)
You don't need to do the saving part. Just:
1) duplicate the book
2) delete all unnecessary chapters
3) export the book as a preview
In iTunes Producer, drag in the preview book when you reached the step asking you to do so.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 9, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to rosneg)
I am having the same problem, I can't select or drag my publication into the box
Currently Being ModeratedSep 27, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to David meme)
So you published a free book to the itunes store? Mine says it cannot go to the store without a publication preview
Currently Being ModeratedOct 4, 2012 3:45 AM (in response to condoor)
Has anyone worked this out!! My (free) ibook is showing in iTunes Connect as-- You must upload a publication preview before it can appear on the store.... But iTunes Producer does not give me this option. Have done what everyone has said, and re-installed the program and no luck!!
Emailed Apple Support, but no reply.
Do free books need a preview??
Currently Being ModeratedOct 8, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to condoor)
My free book which I was submited yesterday (on third attempt - two first attempts give some connection error)
Don't seems to required preview.
Now it have Status: "Not On 32 Stores" and red light.
I suppose it under review process or it's mean anything else?
Currently Being ModeratedOct 8, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to GameRate)
Yeah... My free book is now in the bookstore. It took 3 days. I got an email back from iTunes Connect saying a free book does not require a preview.
They should really fix that message under assets that's says you must upload a preview on free book uploads!!
Currently Being ModeratedNov 19, 2012 9:06 AM (in response to bookarts)
Delete and reinstall worked for me too! Thanks.