1 171 172 173 174 175 Previous Next 3,396 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 5:38 AM by CT Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 2,580. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Sulaiman.K wrote:

     

    I'm on the same boat as you. When i was surfing web i'm getting only 3-4 hours at the maximum of real-time use but in the battery calculator it shows 7 hours which is not real use.

     

    This happens to all the MBP users... <snip>

     

    That's absolute nonsense.  Stop posting blanket statements like that when you don't know what you're talking about.  It is not helpful.

  • 2,581. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    weeasle wrote:

     

    Hi richsadams and others,

     

    Well I am back to report how I am travelling with my MBA (late 2010 13in) and ML since upgrading 22sep..

     

    Yesterday I did the SMC 1.7 update and the version identifier in About this Mac - System Report has gone from 1.66f54 to 1.66f60

     

    I was hesitant to upgrade but figured since I was travelling fairly well and getting 5-6hr battery life I would go ahead...

     

    Something I am curious about is that prior to the latest SMC/EFI update and under SL 10.6.8 I recall I would often marvel that there was no fan noise - NONE...  I am fairly certain I am not imagining this.. Now I notice that there is small fan noise and according the the free utility SMCFan my fan runs at 2000rpm most of the time...

     

    I am curious to get comments from richsadams and other doyans here, am I just imagining that SL often ran NO FAN ?? Or maybe I just never noticed??

     

    At any rate, after resetting the SMC after the update and a full charge, I have been running 15mins on batter from 100% charge and battery life fluctuates from 6:00 to 7:23 estimated battery life left..

     

    So it all seems good. My impression is that I used to get 5-7hrs under SL and so far using ML 10.8.2 (before SMC update) got 5-6hrs...  However, these are unscientific impressions only and I must say ML's UI feels much snappier and quicker.

     

    Overall I am enjoying the new OSX and if a small 10-25% reduction of battery life is the tradeoff for a snappier OSX with nice visuals, then so be it... I will now get on with my life   I will only obsesss on the battery life once more and confirm my battery runtime of 5-6hr for a cycle in one last report - then I will leave my obsession behind and let people report to Apple and hope it all works out soon with improvements...

     

    I must say during all this I would like to share some joy I found and recommend some utilities - the Onyx and Maintenance Apps do a great job of flushing old caches and removing cruft.. http://www.titanium.free.fr/

     

    SMCFan is nice in that it can show you temp and fan rpm in your finderbar and works with most mac portables and also is running on my ML 10.8.2.

     

    EtreCheck is an AWESOME utility for seeing if any old problematic 3rd party extensions of Launch Services might be fouling the works (it enabled me to discover some useless cruft leftovers from SL and remove them)..

     

    Also users with SSD's in macbooks are well served to read some of the tips here:

    http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/

    In particular the lifetime of your SSD can be extended with noatime flag tweak..

     

    So far my Hilltop Kitty seems to be purring along nicely - props to Apple for a good OS.. Hope the minority of people affected by upgrade issues get some fixes soon...

     

    Best,

     

    Wezley

     

    Hey Wezley.  Glad to hear things are getting back to normal...finally!

     

    With regard to the fan speed, yes the fans on all Macs and MacBooks run continuously.  Around 2000 RPM for the MBA is normal.  I suspect it's the OCD thing...we're paying attention to every little nuance now.

     

    FWIW I used to be a fan of SMCFan Control, however when I used it on one of my Mac Minis and then a couple of times on my iMac I ran into instances where if I had increased the fan speed for some heavy duty lifting and then tried to dial it back, it wouldn't respond and the fan speed stayed high.  I had to reboot to correct it.  I'm using iStat Menus 3 now.  It has the ability to change the fan speed if necessary plus a whole host of other great features.  It's not free, but worth the investment IMHO.

     

    Thanks for the tips on the other apps...I use several.  All good stuff!

     

    Enjoy your "new" Mac...you deserve it! 

  • 2,582. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    Sulaiman.K Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Hi richsadams,

     

    Sorry about that . I wanted to know will i get normal battery life if i had downgraded back to Lion? As i can't use my laptop for longer without the power cord and i'm student, i have lot of tasks to complete at college as i can't take the power cord around here and there.

     

    Please let me know if this could help me to get the normal battery life back.


    Thanks Bud.

  • 2,583. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    No apology needed. I fully understand how frustrating this problem can be, believe me!  As you know this is a very limited problem affecting a small number of the tens of millions of MacBooks out there.  However it's a very big deal if it's happening to you and can't be resolved quickly enough.

     

    Unfortunately, as mentioned, "downgrading" the OS to Lion won't help.  The SMC (firmware, not software) version has been updated and you can't downgrade that. 

     

    If you've tried everything else here (and I think you probably have), the clean install of 10.8.2 that I suggested earlier is about the last thing you can try.  It worked for me and many others here, but not everyone.  (If you try that, remember to back up everything first!)

     

    If that doesn't do it, I'd still spend time with Apple Support and keep pushing until you can't get any further.

     

    My WAG continues to be that the SMC and OS are not playing nice together.  Both can and have been updated by Apple and that's taken care of the issue for some, but it's still a problem for others.  Since Apple continues to be in touch, I'm still confident that they're working on this and will be able to resolve it.  Only time will tell.

     

    Best of luck with your MacBook and your studies.  Let us know how things go!

  • 2,584. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    wullewuu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I tried Lion and IT WORKED WELL. I had 8 hours REALUSING time.. then I thought to try ML again and FAIL. I tried complete clean install and so on..

  • 2,585. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Apologies, I mis-read your first post.  I didn't see a post stating which model/year MacBook you have.  There is at least one edition of the MBP that didn't receive an SMC update.  For that one downgrading to Lion makes sense...unfortunately for the majority it didn't work.

     

    Again, I'd take it up with Apple Support then...and don't take "no" for an answer.  Or wait. 

     

    Me?  There isn't anything in Mountain Lion that I couldn't live without, so if your MacBook returns to normal with Lion, that's the way I'd go until this is fully resolved.  Your call of course.

  • 2,586. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    wullewuu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    My MBP is an Early 2011.

     

    Sure.. Lion has everything I need, but honestly I DON'T want to accept that. I paid money for ML and I want a working OS! I don't want to pass on ML..

  • 2,587. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    wullewuu wrote:

     

    My MBP is an Early 2011.

     

    Sure.. Lion has everything I need, but honestly I DON'T want to accept that. I paid money for ML and I want a working OS! I don't want to pass on ML..

     

    Got it.  That's the model that didn't receive an SMC update along with ML (at least yet), so "downgrading" to Lion would take things back to square one.

     

    Understood that you want what you paid for to work, we all do, but it's obviously not, at least for you.  You can pursue it with Apple, ask for a refund as others have (and received), downgrade to Lion for the time being or...  ???

  • 2,588. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    iinviktus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I got a Service Battery message after I upgraded to 10.8.2 and then I started losing battery at the rate of 1% per minute. I tried everything from downgrading to 10.8.1, then doing a fresh install of Mountain Lion, and even going back to Lion and Snow Leopard (fresh installs w/SMC resets). Nothing worked and the battery was still draining like crazy.

     

    I decided to take my computer into the Apple store to get the Service Battery message checked out. They told me I needed to replace my battery. I just came back from picking the computer up after having the battery replaced... and the battery life is back to normal.

     

    Fortunately or unfortunately, I think I found the solution for my problems at least. I believe something in the 10.8.2 update and/or the SMC update affected the battery in a way that was reducing its life quite drastically physically. Before installing 10.8.2, about a month before I checked the Battery Health app and it said my battery was at about 80% health. A couple of days after installing 10.8.2, I decided to check the Battery Health app again and my battery capacity was down to about 70% health. Upon taking it into the Apple store for a check, their diagnostic system said that the battery was down to 50% health and needed to be replaced.

     

    I am doing my first power cycle and my battery is much better. I've actively been using my computer for about three hours and it's still showing about 50% battery left (3.5 hours). Prior to this, the battery would barely last two hours.

  • 2,589. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    Sulaiman.K Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    richsadams wrote:

     

    No apology needed. I fully understand how frustrating this problem can be, believe me!  As you know this is a very limited problem affecting a small number of the tens of millions of MacBooks out there.  However it's a very big deal if it's happening to you and can't be resolved quickly enough.

     

    Unfortunately, as mentioned, "downgrading" the OS to Lion won't help.  The SMC (firmware, not software) version has been updated and you can't downgrade that. 

     

    If you've tried everything else here (and I think you probably have), the clean install of 10.8.2 that I suggested earlier is about the last thing you can try.  It worked for me and many others here, but not everyone.  (If you try that, remember to back up everything first!)

     

    If that doesn't do it, I'd still spend time with Apple Support and keep pushing until you can't get any further.

     

    My WAG continues to be that the SMC and OS are not playing nice together.  Both can and have been updated by Apple and that's taken care of the issue for some, but it's still a problem for others.  Since Apple continues to be in touch, I'm still confident that they're working on this and will be able to resolve it.  Only time will tell.

     

    Best of luck with your MacBook and your studies.  Let us know how things go!

    I have done the clean install twice and the first clean install there is Lion files still stored according to Apple Support, They asked me to do the clean install again so i have done again and than the Battery draining has stopped but now the issue that i'm having is i can't use it for over 6 hours normally only i can get for 4 hours which i have already mentioned it on previous post.

     

    Also i'm still in touch with Apple Technical Advisor they're still looking for the suggestion to solve the battery life and they've said once they found they will call me again on Monday, I will update you all when i get the report from the Advisor.

     

    Thanks again for your advise . Also please keep us posted how the battery life goes for you after doing everything.

  • 2,590. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    Thinman Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    With all the various resetting of Smc and Pram and clean reinstalling. Has anyone changed the battery and what has been the result. I have tried every suggested solution with out any good outcome. My battery life is 4 hours.

    Should say that the heating has gone.

    Several posters have had contact from Apple, yet Apple have not acknowledged that there is a problem.

    I may have missed a post or two. Has anyone on this list bought a MBP with Mountain Lion installed and how do they find battery life

    Thinman

  • 2,591. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    iinviktus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I did and it solved my battery problems. See details two posts above.

  • 2,592. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Bummer, and agreed about your diagnosis.  Curious...at 80% battery life (or anything after that), do you remember how many cycles were recorded?

     

    Glad everything is better now in any case.

  • 2,593. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    richsadams Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Sulaiman.K wrote:

     

    I have done the clean install twice and the first clean install there is Lion files still stored according to Apple Support, They asked me to do the clean install again so i have done again and than the Battery draining has stopped but now the issue that i'm having is i can't use it for over 6 hours normally only i can get for 4 hours which i have already mentioned it on previous post.

     

    Also i'm still in touch with Apple Technical Advisor they're still looking for the suggestion to solve the battery life and they've said once they found they will call me again on Monday, I will update you all when i get the report from the Advisor.

     

    Thanks again for your advise . Also please keep us posted how the battery life goes for you after doing everything.

     

    How frustrating...but it's good to know it's a bit better and more importantly that Apple is still trying to sort through the problem with you.

     

    Battery life is still steady and slightly over spec for my MBA.  It's still a good hour less than it was with Lion, but there's not much I can do about that...other than to consider myself lucky that it ran so far above spec for 18 months or so.  Battery health is still steady at 95% after 133 cycles.

     

    Keep us posted!

  • 2,594. Re: Battery life dropped considerably on Mountain Lion.
    Sulaiman.K Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Battery health is still steady at 95% after 133 cycles.

    Mine it's at 376 cycles is that normal or too high?

     

    If you have any suggestion to reduce the battery cycles let me know.