I'm not a professional photographer, I'm just looking for a way to better organise my personal photos. However I am a graphic designer and know my way around editing photos and I have some of RAW files too.
So, currently, my iPhoto library is a wasteland- mostly duplicates that I imported at some point for some reason or another.
The rest of my photos are simply in named folders. I have about 200 gigs of the stuff, going back to 2006 (plus older ones on other drives)
Currently, I simply use cover flow and quick view to browse photos. It works surprisingly well, but it's no match for a proper solution (geotagging, face recognition, creating books, flagging, rating, etc.)
So, if you use Aperture, I'd love to ask you:
• Is Aperture your primary photo organisation tool, or do you also continue to use the finder or other solutions at the same time?
• How is storing photos on an external drive handled in Aperture? Is it easy, or does it involve a lot of dragging stuff around and messing up your existing events/albums?
• Once photos are stored on an external.. how do you back them up in case that drive fails?
• On the Apple "iPhoto to Aperture" page, they say iPhoto and Aperture share their libraries. So what happens to photos Aperture has moved to an external drive, do they disappear from iPhoto?
• How's the speed? I always found iPhoto to be slow and unresponsive. I do have the 13" MBP from 2010 (2.4 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo) but it does everything else smoothly so I fail to see what is so intense about iPhoto to justify the poor performance.
I plan to upgrade to a new MBP, so maybe this is a moot point.
• Is importing all my old photos gonna be pretty straightforward? I'd assume Aperture will take the dates on the files, rather than the date I import them.
• Since I never used iPhoto much, I don't get the difference between an Event and an Album- though I assume that events are for separating photo dumps (say, your visit to italy and your skiing trip) and albums are for combining an arbitrary set of photos (for instance your best travel photos featuring images from italy and the skiing trip among others), so when you delete one from an album, the image is still in the event, but if you delete from an event, it goes to the trash?... is this correct?
• any other advice you may have