1 336 337 338 339 340 Previous Next 9,472 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2014 6:02 AM by superflatsonic Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 5,055. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Nqjudo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I also have issues with the LG retina and Apple support. Brightness levels are much lower on the MBP than on my other Apple products and I have ghosting problems across the entire display. My post is not so much about the screen issue. I think that has been covered well enough here. In my case I use my displays for photo editing and I can't have one that shows an image half a stop underexposed vs. the rest of my displays at full brightness. Whether I am on the road or at home I need to know exactly what I am editing and more so exactly what I am sending to a client. For some this issue may be just a matter of knowing their screen isn't as good as someone else's out there on the Internet and being unhappy about it but in my case I use my MBP retina as a professional tool in conjunction with other Apple displays and I just can't have them looking so different (yes, despite professional calibration). If I send under or over exposed images to a client it effects my bottom line.

     

    That having been said my post really is more about the service from Apple that I received and for those who are curious, the story ends with me returning my unit for a refund. No exchange. While dealing with Apple concerning this issue I spoke with individuals who were not aware that parts from different manufacturers are used in the production of their machines, another individual who tried to convince me that I could not return the unit because the return period begins when the order is placed and not when delivered (which is ridiculous seeing as how they ship on the slow boat from China when ordered online) and other individuals who seemed to lack not only knowledge of Apple products but basic customer service skills as well. This is the first time ever that I have had such unsatisfactory support from Apple and it really has me thinking about my future relationship with the brand. I remember when Windows 95 hit the shelves. There were line-ups and frenzied customers who got the first OSes. TV news spots much like iPhone releases today. Wow. The world was going to be better. I'm sure many remember that from there Microsoft became a giant that worked only to appease shareholders and sacrificed support and quality control to the end users. Eventually the left hand became so oblivious to what the right hand was doing it sent myself and many others here running into the hands of Apple. Well apple... I think the cracks are really starting to show. Very disappointed.   

  • 5,056. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    srhwang Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    In your case, Nqjudo, I'd definitely understand cutting the rMBP off like that. This was supposed to be a portable workhorse with an excellent display, and it was even advertised like that. I'm curious as to how these geniuses you mention are being trained. You can always file a complaint with Apple HQ about them. I found all my experiences with the genius bar in four different Apple stores across Vancouver and one in LA extremely satisfying.

  • 5,057. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    srhwang Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    @@nt

     

    Yes, it's refreshing to hear someone be upfront and honest that they can live with the issue. I know there's nothing wrong with shunning it just for the sake of it having some sort of issue, but sometimes we just can't get a completely perfect product and have to learn to make compromises; it's life. I for one cannot make this compromise because I have minor OCD about these things where it will bother me to my grave if I know there's something wrong with it. I'm just looking for a display that will show no apparent defects, and leave it at that, no more intense inspections, no more paranoia, no more reading forums.

     

    I may sell the unit or if there's actually something wrong with my 3rd Samsung display replacement, escalate to Apple for a refund and wait til next year...

  • 5,058. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    johns1 Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

    Today I received 2 more units and... *drum roll* HOORAY I got 2 more Lemon Gs!! As of now these are my 13th units and I have given up playing the Samsung lottery already. I'm hoping Apple's media event on Oct. 23rd will reveal a new iMac and rMBP 13" so I don't have to bother with this 15" rMBP any longer.

    Cmon Apple, release the new iMac and 13" rMBP since I'm absolutely done wasting a ton of money on the 15"! 5 LG displays ordered online in a row is absolutely absurd.

     

    Well you be spending a ton of money again with the 13" rMBP, because if rumors are true, then pricing starts at $1699, with the higher spec model going for another $200 to $300.  Thats very close to the base model of the 15" rMBP. 

    Personally its going to be a tough choice, as extra 2" of display with 15" vs lighter, somewhat smaller 13".

  • 5,059. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    srhwang Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I don't know if I could ever handle 13" with a crisp display like the Retina. Since it's thin and light at 15" anyways, I don't think it'd be worth the compromise for the step down. How much lighter can it be? Not enough to make a difference for me, most likely.

  • 5,060. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    @nt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I think this thread has made me alittle OCD. 

     

    "I'm just looking for a display that will show no apparent defects, and leave it at that, no more intense inspections, no more paranoia, no more reading forums." 

     

    Exactly.  I am still going to do my due diligence and go to the Apple Store here in Orange County (Ca) so they can put a note in my account clearing stating that I noticed some slight IR and if it gets worse we have told the customer he can get the screen replaced.  That seems fair to me.  Last thing I want is a new machine because it's such a pain installing all of my music programs.  My appointment is this Saturday.  I will keep you all posted on my experience.  So far everytime I call Apple Care they are very helpful. 

  • 5,061. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Nqjudo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks for the reply. The support personnel I was referring to were phone support only. I don't mean to be overly critical of Apple especially after my last post but I have given up on the in-store staff. Frankly they seem completely overwhelmed with the vast array of configurations available on the machines and the various options of each. This is a perfect example. Before purchasing the MBP retina I went to the store to see how I might be able to use my late 2009 iMac as an external display with it. Absolutely no way I was told. 'Because the MBP is thunderbolt equipped it won't work with that external display. You'll need a display such as the thunderbolt display. It is only 1000$.' Suspicious of this pimple-faced kid I went home, ordered a 5$ mini displayport to mini displayport cable and when my MBP retina arrived, I plugged them together and voila! External display to my MBP. I saved myself myself 994$ before taxes. 

  • 5,062. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    @nt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This may be wishful thinking but if it (13") comes with a quad core I am definitely returning my 15". 

  • 5,063. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Nqjudo wrote:

     

    Thanks for the reply. The support personnel I was referring to were phone support only. I don't mean to be overly critical of Apple especially after my last post but I have given up on the in-store staff. Frankly they seem completely overwhelmed with the vast array of configurations available on the machines and the various options of each. This is a perfect example. Before purchasing the MBP retina I went to the store to see how I might be able to use my late 2009 iMac as an external display with it. Absolutely no way I was told. 'Because the MBP is thunderbolt equipped it won't work with that external display. You'll need a display such as the thunderbolt display. It is only 1000$.' Suspicious of this pimple-faced kid I went home, ordered a 5$ mini displayport to mini displayport cable and when my MBP retina arrived, I plugged them together and voila! External display to my MBP. I saved myself myself 994$ before taxes. 

    That is f*****g r******d!!!
    Contact Apple and give them the store location and the name of the pimple-faced kid. Someone should be fired; either the kid, the person who trained him, or both.

  • 5,064. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    ColdDevil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Got my replacement today after waiting 8 days. It is a Samsung panel and everything (I mean everything) is perfect.

     

    No IR (20min tested), no dead pixels, no lightbleed, no mura, no yellow tint and no scratches or cracks after repair. Brightness is great and exactly as it was on the LG panel. Color is uniform and definitely not yellow. I don't have an LG panel side by side but I would say the white is nearly the same.

     

    You cannot imagine how glad I am right now after going through two display replacements. The first one returned within the 14 days because of mura and now this one because of IR.

     

    I am really convinced that Apple uses LG panels in production and Samsung for replacement just as some of you suggested.

     

    To all who are waiting for a replacement or repair: I wish you the best of luck and hope everyone will get a satisfying display in the end.

     

    Although going through all this hassle I still recommend the retina MacBook Pro because is it the most awesome laptop I've ever owned. Don't let someone tell you that IR can happen and is a normal case! As you can see there are Samsung panels out there that are absolutely flawless and exactly as you would expect them. Just don't give up.

  • 5,065. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    ColdDevil wrote:

     

    Got my replacement today after waiting 8 days. It is a Samsung panel and everything (I mean everything) is perfect.

     

    No IR (20min tested), no dead pixels, no lightbleed, no mura, no yellow tint and no scratches or cracks after repair. Brightness is great and exactly as it was on the LG panel. Color is uniform and definitely not yellow. I don't have an LG panel side by side but I would say the white is nearly the same.

     

    You cannot imagine how glad I am right now after going through two display replacements. The first one returned within the 14 days because of mura and now this one because of IR.

     

    I am really convinced that Apple uses LG panels in production and Samsung for replacement just as some of you suggested.

     

    To all who are waiting for a replacement or repair: I wish you the best of luck and hope everyone will get a satisfying display in the end.

     

    Although going through all this hassle I still recommend the retina MacBook Pro because is it the most awesome laptop I've ever owned. Don't let someone tell you that IR can happen and is a normal case! As you can see there are Samsung panels out there that are absolutely flawless and exactly as you would expect them. Just don't give up.

     

    Welcome to the "rMBP with good Samsung displays"...club.

  • 5,066. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    dbainbridge Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)

    Canuck1970 wrote:

    Welcome to the "rMBP with good Samsung displays"...club.

    The few, the proud, the brave.  Just as a referesher for those new here, I had ordered 2 from production week 40 (appleserialinfo) and both were perfect Samsung displays.  They DO exist.

  • 5,067. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    ColdDevil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thank you

     

    I think it is important to tell everyone that good Samsung displays do exist!

  • 5,068. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    ColdDevil wrote:

     

    Thank you

     

    I think it is important to tell everyone that good Samsung displays do exist!

     

    Yep, I truly believe that the number of LG displays with the image retention defect signifcantly exceeds the number of Samsung displays with any defect.

  • 5,069. Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
    ColdDevil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, this is why I believe that LG displays are used for production and Samsung as replacement. Reserved for those who are complaining.