1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 12:47 PM by ChrisJ4203
RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It showed correctly under Google maps but whole sections of the street are missing under IOS 6.

 

 

I have tried reporting the problem via the recommended method and received no response. I know that this is also a problem in Tom Tom because I discovered after paying a significant amount for their iPhone app only to find my address missing on their maps. I tried reporting it to them months ago and they made no change in their app or maps. I do not live in a remote area but a within the city limits of metropolitan area and the house has been here since 1929, giving Apple and Tom Tom ample time to get it right!

 

I am very disappointed that neither Apple or Tom Tom have not even responded to my request despite my investment in their products.

  • 1. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    imaybeawhile Level 2 Level 2 (400 points)

    Drop a pin by touching the map

    Touch the little blue arrow on the right of the pin drop label

    Scroll down and select to "report a problem"

     

    I did this for my apartment 4 weeks back - I'm still a couple of miles away from my apartment apparently.

     

    I'm obviously squatting ;)

  • 2. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    WALTER-MILANO-ITALY Level 4 Level 4 (2,175 points)

    If you have reported it to both Apple and TomTom they will for sure coirrect the error.  I do not believe thay will reply to each report.

    I use and used several flavours of electronic mapping from the the above companies and others both for ground and marine use.  Errors are to be found in any map and users do their best to inform the manufacturer.

    Errors even are to be found on paper marine maps.  We, as users, have to report the error and wait until it will be repaired.

  • 3. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)


    imaybeawhile wrote:

     

    Drop a pin by touching the map

    Touch the little blue arrow on the right of the pin drop label

    Scroll down and select to "report a problem"

     

    I did this for my apartment 4 weeks back - I'm still a couple of miles away from my apartment apparently.

     

    I'm obviously squatting ;)

    Yes I have already made a reoirt that way.

  • 4. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I

    WALTER-MILANO-ITALY wrote:

     

    If you have reported it to both Apple and TomTom they will for sure coirrect the error.  I do not believe thay will reply to each report.

    I use and used several flavours of electronic mapping from the the above companies and others both for ground and marine use.  Errors are to be found in any map and users do their best to inform the manufacturer.

    Errors even are to be found on paper marine maps.  We, as users, have to report the error and wait until it will be repaired.

    I guess you are saying I will just have to wait until they decide to make the change. Since it has been over 6 months since I reported the problem to Tom Tom using a screen shot of my Google map to illustrate the correct street mapping in my neighborhood, I imagine I will see the maps corrected in IOS 7 or maybe 8?

  • 5. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    stevejobsfan0123 Level 7 Level 7 (32,320 points)

    Except that iOS 6 was not out 6 months ago. Sounds like you haven't reported it to Apple yet, which you may consider:

    iOS 6 Maps: Reporting a Problem

  • 6. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    WALTER-MILANO-ITALY Level 4 Level 4 (2,175 points)

    There will be no need to change Operating System to improve a specific App. 

  • 7. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    tonefox Level 6 Level 6 (8,300 points)

    It is not a problem with the app. It is a problem with the data that the app is accessing.

  • 8. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    WALTER-MILANO-ITALY Level 4 Level 4 (2,175 points)

    You are right tonefox.  Thanks for pointing it out.

    There will be no need to change neither the OS nor the App, but only to update the map-data where they are.

    That means we should be able to get the improvments even without being distracted by an update.

  • 9. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Sounds like you haven't read my posts! In my original post and follow-ups I stated that I contacted Tom Tom directly about their app over 6 months ago. With the introduction of IOS 6 I discovered that Apple had exchanged my perfectly fine Google map app for the Tom Tom maps that are terribly inaccurate. I immediately reported the above inaccuracy to Apple too.

     

    BTW, I have found many inaccuracies in trying to use the Tom Tom maps in their app long before Apple decided to buy their inferior data to thwart rival Google.

  • 10. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    tonefox wrote:

     

    It is not a problem with the app. It is a problem with the data that the app is accessing.

     

    Yes I agree. I think Apple chose to buy Tom Tom's inferior data not because it would improve our user experience but because they wanted to break ties with an obvious competitor in Google.

     

    We are the ones to suffer and what exactly is the incentive for Tom Tom to improve the data that they provide to Apple? Even if everyone in my neighborhood owned a Tom Tom GPS or iPhone, I don't think that would amount to enough complaints to get Tom Tom to change that particular portion of the map. They certainly haven't been responsive in the months since I first provided them with the correct information.

     

    Sure, major metropolitan areas will be remapped but those of us in the lesser traveled areas of the world will probably see many IOS's come and go before we see accurate maps return to our iDevices.

     

    I personally am waiting for Google to release a new map app for IOS. Unfortunately it won't be nicely integrated into other apps unless other developers realize, like they have with DropBox or Box, that there are sometimes better alternatives to meeting individual needs than what Apple chooses to foist on us

  • 11. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    lkrupp Level 4 Level 4 (3,135 points)

    RCGlass wrote:

    to our iDevices.

     

    I personally am waiting for Google to release a new map app for IOS. Unfortunately it won't be nicely integrated into other apps unless other developers realize, like they have with DropBox or Box, that there are sometimes better alternatives to meeting individual needs than what Apple chooses to foist on us

     

    If the maps issue is so important and debilitating to you then get rid of your Apple devices and buy Android. You claim that Apple "foists" things on its users. Leave the platform. Problem solved. Is it really that hard to understand? Why stay with a company or product you despise or are unhappy with? What is it with people ike you anyway?

  • 12. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    iinami Level 4 Level 4 (1,400 points)

    i have been using gps for a longer time than most, even the handheld variety for mountain biking and such before they had car gps. i'm not the most expert person in the world, but in my experience maps are updated yearly, so something reported 6 months ago may have to wait for the yearly update.

  • 13. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    lkrupp wrote:

     

    RCGlass wrote:

    to our iDevices.

     

    I personally am waiting for Google to release a new map app for IOS. Unfortunately it won't be nicely integrated into other apps unless other developers realize, like they have with DropBox or Box, that there are sometimes better alternatives to meeting individual needs than what Apple chooses to foist on us

     

    If the maps issue is so important and debilitating to you then get rid of your Apple devices and buy Android. You claim that Apple "foists" things on its users. Leave the platform. Problem solved. Is it really that hard to understand? Why stay with a company or product you despise or are unhappy with? What is it with people ike you anyway?

    What exactly do you mean by "people ike[sic] me?" You presume to know me from a few words I have written here?! I am not enough of a true believer to suit you?! I dare to question decisions that others have made that affect me?!

     

    Well I will share one thing about me. I am a long time Apple user and supporter (Mac Plus) but I am also a firm believer in the maxim, "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" It seems to me the only thing Apple sought to fix in their switch to Tom Tom's mapping data was their link to a growing competitor, Google. The many complaints from those with a signifcant investment in affected Apple products like me (2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 iPods) are well founded and deserving of a voice. There have been many problems with the new map data reported and not a lot of bravos. I have read on a similar thread to this one the Apple has said it may be 2-3 years to get the maps up to speed.

     

    I don't know about you, but the Google maps data was working fine for me including all the other apps it integrated with. So why should I have to go out and spend my hard earned money on another platform? Why should I not expect that Apple will be responsive to its users if we raise our voices in protest of an uneeded change that has produced bad results.

     

    Maybe my choice of the word "foist" (to introduce or insert surreptitiously or without warrant) was a little strong but who here feels they were consulted by Apple before they made this major switch that affects so much of the functionality of their portable devices?

  • 14. Re: What can I do about the fact that IOS maps no longer shows my home street correctly on the map?
    RCGlass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    iinami wrote:

     

    i have been using gps for a longer time than most, even the handheld variety for mountain biking and such before they had car gps. i'm not the most expert person in the world, but in my experience maps are updated yearly, so something reported 6 months ago may have to wait for the yearly update.

    Yes, I was kind of expecting that but it doesn't diminish my disappointmnet that Apple switched map data for no apparent reason other than to reduce Google's market while Apple's loyal supporters get an uneeded and inferior "fix."

1 2 Previous Next