System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.
The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.
For 10.5/10.6, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...
BDAqua! oh no- now my speeds are back to 3mb.
Today I was adding my Airport express back into the mix as a client -streaming music to my stereo and I may have reset something.
I went to my network and all the dns numbers were gone. I reset them and rebooted the Airport Extreme and the cable modem and I am still at only about 3mb.
Not sure what I did! ahh. It was so quick last night!
any help I would appreciate. thanks!!
You're positive the wifi is off on the iMac? And it made no change to either being able to get to the internet or the speed?
What type of internet connection do you have, DSL, Cable Modem, other? What is the Airport Extereme plugged into?
As a test you could plug the iMac directly into the modem connecting you to the internet and see what type of speed you get. That would at least help us narrow down where the problem is.
One other thing in the Airport Extreme do you have Guest Network enabled?
Right after your last post I unplugged the extreme and tried testing directly from the modem.
- I called my isp and did the reboot of the modem with the auto-attendant which actually made me wait
a few minutes before I plugged the modem back in.
- That seems to have brought it back up to speed.
- Speedtest.net still does not say 15mb as does 'thier' speedtest site, but at least it feels faster-Speedtest.net still says 2-3mb no matter what. Friday night after I spoke with them and you helped me Speedtest.net gave me a reading of like 10mb so maybe it is them?
- Put the Extreme back in the mix still fine.
- Turned Wifi back on still the same.
So anyway, I guess it is ok now. Did you see anything odd in my settings? Cable guys are coming out on Wedneday as they did see some kind of off signal drop to zero on thier side.
Thanks for your patience!