I am thinking of getting a MBP for FCPX.
I am new to Mac's and have always used PC's but with all of the trouble I have had with my PC's lately, and the fact that I have an iPhone, iPod, and everything seems to be moving to the "cloud" I think it is time to go with what seems like the superior product, an Apple Laptop
So my question to you:
I am on a budget, but don't want to be regretting not spending enough in the long run.
I want to do some video editing and I have always used Sony Vegas in the past. With FCPX only being $300 now, that seems much more reasonable than the way FCP7 was previously priced.
What sort of system spec's should I shoot for?
I am reading that the minimums are as follows:
- Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.
- 2GB of RAM (4GB of RAM recommended).
- OpenCL-capable graphics card or
Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later.
- 256MB of VRAM (512MB of VRAM recommended).
- Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher.
- OS X v10.6.8 or OS X v10.7.5 or OS X v10.8.2 or later.
- 2.4GB of disk space.
So if I got a 15" Macbook Pro (without Retina display... do I really need the Retina?) here are the specs and my questions:
- 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
- Or should I go for the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core?
- 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
- I figured this would be a good upgrade from the 4GB of RAM
- 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
- ATA versus SSD? What size do you think?
- MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
- Are the high-res glossy or anti-glare any better? Is the regular screen pretty easy on the eyes?
- Any other tips or suggestions for what to get? I want this to run as smoothly as possible, and I want this to be a computer that will last me a few years. I am currently on year 5 of my laptop PC, so I hope that the Apple's are as good of a product.