As I noted, as soon as the cover sheet is displayed, iBooks crashes; there is no opportunity to delete it.
I long ago despaired of any help on this subject, and resorted to deleting iBooks to remove all the data, then reinstalling. Apple's software support is, in my experience, abysmal.
ScreamNeagle said to "Delete the book from your iTunes library, then sync your device to your iBooks in iTunes" (my emphasis and spelling correction added).
1. Launch iTunes on your computer.
2. Click on the "Books" library in the left sidebar.
3. In the main pane, right/control-click on the PDF you want to delete, and select "Delete".
4. Click on the "Delete Book" button.
5. You may be asked if you want to move the PDF to the trash; say yes.
6. Now, once the PDF has been deleted from the Books Library in iTunes, sync your iDevice to iTunes and the PDF will be removed from it.
7. Launch iBooks on your iDevice to see if you correctly found the problem PDF.
Thanks. I've found that many times if you provide the steps to do something, there are more that will appreciate it than there are those who respond like "why are you telling me what I already know". It sounded like Dave may have thought he had to launch iBooks and delete the PDF from within it so I just provided the alternate route.