have to go pick up a friend so I will let you know If I get to it when I get back. if not and I run nto trouble I will just reply to one of these posts and wait to see when you will be around. I think the first time I used it the applecare rep hooked it up wirelessly which is why it ook so long and she did not use the AU for some reason.
OK, I will not bug you again, but let me ask a few questions and if you can answer them I would appreciate it. I understand if you do not know the answers.
1. I will get some more ethernet cables to have on hand. With the age of technology we are in is there any special type I should make sure I get like gold plated, a certain CAT number (I think I have seen CAT 5 and 6.), anything that with your expereince and knowledge you would say is good to look for in getting a quality ethernet cable?
2. You said we can do this wirelessly earlier and in the last post you made a comment about this is the way to go. If I do not get it up and running should I not even try to do it wirelessly?
3. Knowing the model number of my AE and about how long I have had it do you think this one can keep up with the current technology of today? The upload/download, etc. that comcast internet delivers, and the latest security measures?
4. If there is a firmware update, should I avoid it or download it?
5. When I hooked it up the other dy my network that I created was still there. it is "KJT" but I think since I did the reset already, had I tried GUEST as the password I might have been able to connect successfully. should I tru that again before I go through the utility?
6 If this does not work, can you help with trying it wirelessly or is that too much to try via a forum like this?
Thanks for your help.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 14, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to NObodE)
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Cat5e cables are fine for your use - Cat6 are the best but more expensive.
2. To set up the Extreme wirelessly is more involved so it is up to you.
3. I checked your model # and it should work fine.
4. If there is a firmware update do it.
5. Do a factory reset as I have suggested - don't try to use the old network.
6. I can give you wireless instructions but the installation is up to you.
If you want all new technology and you want to stay with Apple, then I would recommend a new Extreme or Express - Apple provides 90 days of support on these products.
thanks for the answers. I would prefer to keep the AE I have if somebody who knows what they are talking about thinks this model is still Ok to use. I beleive you have give me your approval. :-)
If the technology is out of date to the point that I am risking my security, I would purchase a new one. However, I do not get that from you, unless in your last post that is what you are saying.
I still have not had time to try the connection but will post to you when I do.