Currently Being ModeratedNov 16, 2012 1:21 AM (in response to MariaFreckls)
Any newer oSX is going to slow you down, but may be useful, but you need 10.6 & update it to 10.6.78 to go any higher.
You need to get 10.6 & update to 10.6.8 first to be able to buy it from the App Store & download it.
Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...
* Mac computer with an Intel processor
* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)
* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)
* DVD drive for installation
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.
Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...
It's been pulled from the online store & Apple Stores, so you have to call Apple to buy it, last I heard.
Call Apple Sales...in the US: 1-800-MY-APPLE. Or Support... 1-800-275-2273
You have to get 10.6.8 first to go even higher to 10.7 or 10.8
Currently Being ModeratedNov 16, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to MariaFreckls)
You may be limited by hardware in terms of how far you can go.
Kappy 08/2012 post on upgrading to Snow Leopard, then Lion or Mountain Lion - https://discussions.apple.com/message/19401628 - including how to get Snow Leopard and Lion since Apple removed them from the online store.