After your note, I re-connected with my ISP.
It seems that when I was stepped through the sequences, I was on the "receive" portionn & had not actually gone into the send portion. Even with this latest exchange, we had to do it two or three times, shutting down mail each time, pausing & re-checking that the settings that were inserted actually held.
On the third try, it worked!
The Send port 25 was selected - & it eventually stayed as such.
So I now have a dilema.
It was a team effort - you all provided outstanding advice which led me to the solution. I am going to click you all as Helping. I am going to try & give you all a "this solved my question" award if I can. I'll select one first & see if I can do it for all of you.
I really appreciate your assistance. I wish I had enough smarts to be able to help others, but I am relatively new to Macs. So if I can't get all four of you nominated for solving my question, you know in my heart that I mean you all deserve the credit - hope it works, thanks a million tzbikowski, Linc Davis, Munas, & rkauffmann87!!! You are my heroes/gurus etc.
For future reference, the precise fix was in the Advanced settings in the Mail preferences & was missed many times due to one skipped step in the sequence.
When you select Mail, Preferences, Accounts - the account information was cross checked between me & the server. When we reviewed the outgoing mail server (SMTP) I verified it was my ISP. I was then asked to select "Advanced" which I did and we went down to the lower half of the window & changed the port to 110.
The problem was a step was omitted more than once, perhaps up to two or threee times maybe more!
Back up to the Mail, Preferences Account Information window - Now I should have been directed to select the outgoing server window and select "Edit SMTP server List" THEN select advanced and diddle with the port setting to 25 or whatever.
So that one omitted step resulted in missing the examination and changing of the SMTP setting. tzbikowski, who got the credit for the solution was the one who provided the vital clue for me to zero in on the error.
That was two ISP techs who missed the same crucial step - I am going to call my ISP & point out the omission so they can perhaps be more helpful & speedier in future similar cases.
Thanks again for a solution.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points