After trashing the preference using the Preference Manager that Ian recommended, the time taken to transcode the file somewhat improved.
But I notice if I transcode in mp4 it is 133 MB but if trnascode in m4v it is only 46 MB.
Anyway, I now move on to another project folder and I am using FCPX 10.0.6 to transcode a video on a timeline. Since I have a lot of pictures & vidoes, I thought I test the new feature of 10.0.6 where one can transcode a section of the timeline.
So, I decided to transcode the last 7 clips video on the timeline. Let's call it from left to right clip 1, 2, 3 ... 7 (seven being the extreme right clip, ie 7 is the last clip).
Clip 1 is a still picture taken from iPhone5 and the resolution is quite big about 3550 x 4500 while clip 2,3,4,5,6,7 are all video clips from the same video camera in 1920 x 1080.
I did this:
1) First I transcode all the 7 clip, ie clip 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7. I noticed that my Lacie HD light stops blinking at about 41% which means it is not writing to the harddisk anymore after 41%. And the progress stuck at 41%. After a while it says GENERAL ERROR: ERROR -50
2) Then I transcode clip 2,3,4,5,6,7. No problem. So, I thought clip 1 which is the picture from iPhone is the culprit.
3) So, I transcode just clip 1 alone, and there was NO problem
4) So, I transcode, 1,2,3. Also NO problem.
4) So, I trnascode, 1,2,3,4,5 also NO problem
5) So, I transcode 1,2,3,4,5,6 also NO problem
6) So, I transcode again 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and SAME ERROR -50 appeared this time stuck at 33%
7) Then I lenghtned clip 7 by dragging the right end towards to right.
8) Then I transcode clip 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 This time no problem (Note that this time the clip 7 is longer than the clip 7 in 1 to 6 above)
What happened ?