Currently Being ModeratedNov 17, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to awkpandaboo)
If you can't login, try these simple solutions :
- Did you checked your typing? (maybe just a typing error)
- Check your keyboard. Try using a wired keyboard if possible.
- For wireless keyboards : check for Bluetooth interference around you.
- Try waiting after keystrokes. For example, if your password is "hello", then type your password one letter at a time, waiting for about a second for one character, and make sure when you've entered your password, you wait for about 2 seconds, and then hit enter.
If all of these solutions don't work, you'll need to reset your password. Check out this link for solutions :
Currently Being ModeratedNov 17, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to Seth.C)
The issue is that I can't get in to anything at all, there are no options for resetting or entering anything else. The only possibility that the screen gives me is the blank for my password, and then the sleep/restart/shutdown option buttons. My account is the only account (so I'm guessing I'm the admin?) I haven't set up any other accounts since it's my own iMac.
I'm stuck because I can't do anything except login, which it's not letting me do.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to awkpandaboo)
You have a brand new iMac. I assume that it ships with OS X Lion, or Mountain Lion, right?
In this case, you might need to try using recovery mode. The instructions and explanation is here :
Or, to reset your password : Follow these instructions :
- Reboot the computer, holding down the command and 'S' key at the same time. Wait for about 10 seconds
- You'll see a command-line interface. Type down commands, as listed below (step by step) :
mount -uw /
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
passwd (your username here)
After you've typed the passwd command, and hit return (or enter), enter your new password for your account. After that, simply type in more commands, listed below step by step.
rm -rf /Users/username/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
The system will reboot. Try logging in with your new password, and see if it works.
NOTE : The following code deletes the password saved in your login keychain. However, if you could not log in, this may be the only way to prevent you from losing your documents, as you may have to re-format the computer.