1 47 48 49 50 51 Previous Next 811 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 11:10 AM by TC5A Go to original post
  • 720. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Usmaak Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    I was lucky to get a not terrible iPad 3 after several tries. Unfortunately, it is not evenly lit. It is darker at the top and along the left side. It is not terrible at all, but it is noticeable. At least it is not yellow, pink, blue, or green like numerous others that i have seen. And no dead pixels, dust, or other foreign material beneath the screen. In the end, i decided to keep it because i really do like the resolution. After using one for a while, I could not imagine going back to the old iPad 2 resolution. Not that I have a problem with the iPad 2. I use one at work. I have been watching the iPad 4 launch, hoping that these screen issues were fixed. This does not appear to be the case. I would have bought one in a second, if the screen issues were fixed. I have also noticed that if the iPad 4 is held landscape while holding the left side, wifi drops off. It really does appear that they haven't fixed any of the complaints that people had with the iPad 3.

     

    There are four certainties in all this.

     

    1. Nobody at Apple has ever heard of any issue with any of their products. Ever. And they will never see it. The Apple stores are lit in such a way that all screens look amazing all the time.

    2. Nobody at Best Buy has ever heard of any issue with any product that they sell. Ever. And they don't care enough to actually look at what you're seeing. It's a knee jerk reaction to anyone who complains.

    3. No matter how many people claim to see an issue on any forum, even on multiple units, there will always be someone that comes along and claims that because they don't have the issue you see, it does not exist, and it is all in your mind.

    4. Someone will be along shortly to talk about all the people who have "OCD" because they have the audacity to want a perfect unit in exchange for their hard earned cash. Most of the people using this term will actually have no idea what it is, what it means, or what the symptoms of the disorder really are.

     

    I keep seeing "IGZO" being tossed around on the forums. I will wait to consider picking up a new iPad until that comes out. Maybe it will result in more even lighting and fewer screen flaws.

  • 721. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Usmaak Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    There was a teardown done on the iPad 3 shortly after it came out, and if I recall correctly, it said that glue is not used. This is only for the iPhone.

  • 722. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    BarrettF77 Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

    The glue trick is an attempt to get you past the 2 week return period.  If you believe that junk, you get what you had coming.  The glue trick has never changed and they don't use glue over the LCD anyways.  It's a industrial adhesive that borders the edge of the display and doesn't cause the screen to discolor.

     

    Usmaak, hit the nail right on the head.  Within tolerances to apple could mean anything.  I've got a 3rd gen iPad that out of the box had a nick in the back of it that was done at factory.  Screen was decent and I kept it because of all the other units I'd had issues with.

     

    Just because Apple says they have standards on products doesn't mean they are high ones.  Even though their prices are.

  • 723. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Christian Greenberg Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    There is no such trick, this is an urban legend. Apple uses an adhesive (more popular: glue) for the display and it can, if it doesn't dry well, show a yellowish hue for a while. This happens when "fresh" products out of production make it very fast to their buyers. Usually they are lying around on a shelf for a week or two but this is not the case with the iPad.

    Most likely however, the yellowish hue is caused by the color temperature, as I explained before.

    You can spread urban legends and conspiracy theories all day long but this doesn't make things better.

  • 724. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Usmaak Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    There are teardowns on the internet that show that the screen is only held down by adhesive around the edges.  The screen is not glued down.  Show me positive proof that the screen is glued down, and I will believe it.

     

    I agree about the overall yellow being caused by different color temp.  But that doesn't explain uneven colored blotches.  Different color temp would be a uniform hue.  I've seen iPad 3 display models in Apple stores that have yellowish blotches on them, and thats after being on 12+ hours a day for months.  According to your glue theory, the yellow blotches should have faded many months earlier.  Yet they did not.

  • 725. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    augustya Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Usmaak wrote:

     

    There are four certainties in all this.

     

    1. Nobody at Apple has ever heard of any issue with any of their products. Ever. And they will never see it. The Apple stores are lit in such a way that all screens look amazing all the time.

     

     

    I had a similar experience whenever you call up Apple about any Screen issues their first immediate reaction is well !! This is the first time we have come across such a case. Once I told one of the Rep's that have you guys been instructed, advised to say this when a customer complaints about screen issues.

     

    And that indeed is the case. It is a strict advise/ instruction from Apple to Apple Stores "Do not acknowledge a screen issue which a customer is complaning especially when it is a cosmetic issue and not a functionality issue" I also had a chance to speak with one of my friends who is in a similar Electronics Manufacturing Industry and even he said they will never ever, ever readily and easily accept this. Even they never accept it in their Business And it is a part of the Apple Rep's Job Profile to never acknowledge such a cosmetic issue unless Apple makes a Official Media/Press statement about it. As they did in the iPad-3 overheating issue where a Apple Spokesperson came out with the statement that the overheating issue being reported by people is normal.

  • 726. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Altecnico Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Houston, we have a problem.

     

    I bought a new iPad 4 with retina display, and it has the same issues with white balance, no true black and white. White backgrounds should be pure white.  Instead, it is kinda light green.

     

    Face tones are pale in the new iPad 4.  Looks normal on my iPad 2. When comparing a chess app on the two iPads, my iPad 2 has nice solid brown squares, whereas they are very light brown on the iPad 4.

     

    Apple is misleading customers that this is the best iPad. It is false advertisement.

     

    Let me clarify something: iPad 4 with retina display has a quad processor which is very fast, iPad 2 in comparison is slower since it has only a dual processor.  The higher resolution on the new iPad definitely is excellent.

     

    Apple needs to correct this greenish color temperature problem. I had to return my new iPad 4th generation. Now I am short an iPad in my house, since I gave my iPad 2 away to my daughter after purchasing the newest one.

     

    Not a happy camper,

     

    Alberto

  • 727. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    crh24 Level 3 Level 3 (920 points)

    Altecnico  wrote:

     

    <...>

     

    Not a happy camper,

     

    Alberto

    Then replace it with something else, either a new iPad or some other tablet.  Being unhappy is not a permanent condition unless you allow it to be.

     

    I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to displays.  All of my computer displays are color calibrated using ColorEyes Display Pro using an X-Rite iDisplay pro.  My two cameras are a Canon 5D Mark III and 7D.  I am not a professional--I'm retired--but I am an avid amateur photographer and color balance is extremely important to me.  While I liked the iPad 2 display I wished it could be color balanced as its color temperature is very cool.

     

    I have had three 3rd gen and also three 4th gen iPads.

     

    My first 3rd gen, shipped to me in March '12, had a display 'color' issue as reported earlier in this thread.  It was immediately replaced by via Express Replacemen--they paid shipment both ways and I had the replacement in hand in two days.  I had the use of my 'new' iPad until the replacement arrived.  The display in the replacement iPad '3' was perfect.  A few months later I purchased an iPad 3 for my wife.  The display was perfect from the start.

     

    When the iPad '4's with LTE were released I decided to give my iPad 3's to my daughters as a Christmas gift so I purchased two new iPad 4's.  The result was exactly the same as in the 3rd generation, i.e. one had a poor display which was immediately replaced by Apple with absolutely no pushback and the replacement was perfect.  The other iPad 4 was perfect from the start.

     

    From my experience it appears as if about 1/3 of the retina displays are functional but less than perfect visually.  In both cases Apple has been professional in the replacement of the iPad's I deemed less than perfect.

     

    YMMV, particularly if you live outside USA as I have no insight into how the issue is handled 'there'.

     

    One more thing...the retina displays could still profit from color management, but much less so than the iPad 2.  The retina display, when you get a good one, has a color temperture that is pretty good.

  • 728. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    jaym€ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I received my 2nd ipad 4 gen and this one have the same problem, left side with a yellowish hue......

    Apple needs to wake up, this situation should have been resolved .......

  • 729. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    tactictaylor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I returned NUMBER three ipad 4 to Apple store, yellow tint AGAIN running down one side of the screen. Told by Apple representative, about the 'glue drying' being the issue, along with other environmental factors.....?

     

    The ipad has been shown in other threads not o have GLUE, I have come to the conclusion Apple sniffs it though, as they seem to think a 'normal' display can be composed of allthe colours of the rainbow EXCEPT white, on a white background. Incidentally, the other two ipads I purchased were from different stores. ipad 3, same retina display seems fine here now (UK), with no 'glue' issues.

     

    I have now DUMPED this device and will seek to purchase maybe a USED one, that is from older stock. Apple should compensate me for my inconvenience, do you hear Apple....it has cost ME cash!

     

    I was too told that the 'screen resolution' was the cause of the imperfection, I will have to see what a Nexus 10 looks like as that exceeds this resolution I believe.

     

    To me, it looks like corner cutting here in the manufacturing process, funny how all the display units in Apple stores are PERFECT, why?!

  • 730. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Altecnico Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Customer call me 1st business day. I told them  I will like to try another Ipad 4 retina with a high memory 64G.

    iPad was set up I loaded a chess application. I was hoping will be great but same issue as previous,I compare with my Ipad 2 with nice board colors solid brown. New Ipad 4 color brown was pale not as good as my Ipad 2.

    Managers they play  ignorant everything looks ok. I left the store without an Ipad. Very discouraging. I was told they will contact Apple. Most likely I will buy another Ipad 2.

     

    Probably I will try to buy one online like Crh24 mentioned he got a good one the second time.

     

    Is a shame we have to go thru this obstacles. I feel like writing to a magazine or newspaper bring the problem to light.

     

    I am not asking too much I want a decent Ipad with no problems.

  • 731. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Cellostrings Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I am as picky as you, regarding screens of all kinds, crh24. I had a Nikon D200, D700, Canon 40D... So I had to. Within the last 2 weeks, I tried 2 ipad3, 4 ipad4. Only one of them with little problem, which a dust was found beneath the front glass, all the rest 5 retina screens either with light leak around edges, or color tint issues. So I would say about 10-20% chance, you can get a good unit. Feel very sorry for 80% of the ipad users. The 2 ipad 2 I had, all had light leak, but without dead pixel, picked up among 4 units. Sadly, I did not find any problem on my 32g HP touchpad, no matter how hard I tried. That was a $150 unit.

     

    My iPhone 3 was good, iPhone 4S was good for one, severe light leak for another.

     

    So what did we get for what we paid for? The conclusion was obvious. Apple did not make the screen, they just ordered them with their spec. Who is on top of LED or LED screen? Samsung or LG I am afraid. So for those who really care about screen quality, maybe it is time to look around.

  • 732. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    crh24 Level 3 Level 3 (920 points)

    Cellostrings wrote:

     

    I am as picky as you, regarding screens of all kinds, crh24. I had a Nikon D200, D700, Canon 40D... So I had to. Within the last 2 weeks, I tried 2 ipad3, 4 ipad4. Only one of them with little problem, which a dust was found beneath the front glass, all the rest 5 retina screens either with light leak around edges, or color tint issues. So I would say about 10-20% chance, you can get a good unit. Feel very sorry for 80% of the ipad users. The 2 ipad 2 I had, all had light leak, but without dead pixel, picked up among 4 units. Sadly, I did not find any problem on my 32g HP touchpad, no matter how hard I tried. That was a $150 unit.

     

    <...>

     

    All I can say is that moving from the original iPad, through an iPad 2, iPad '3' and now an iPad '4' I have never experienced a light leak nor have I had a dead or stuck pixel.

     

    I do feel for those that had and/or continue to have problems getting a good display.  If after several replacements I still didn't have a unit with a good display I would have been very unhappy.  Not being shy and retiring I would probably be just as vocal about the situation as others have been.

  • 733. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Tikatoo Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I feel your pain!  Reading these posts takes me back to last spring when I received my launch day iPad 3 with its blotchy pink, green, yellow and gray screen. I returned it and waited 2.5 months before trying again. At the beginning of June, I went to Best Buy and fortunately got this pristine iPad 3.  Pure gorgeous whites, stunning colors and not a light leak anywhere.  Apple could not pay me to go through the frustration of that again ... No iPad 4 in my future, I won't give this one up!.  The Mini doesn't seem to have this problem, at least none that I've heard about.  I truly hope all of you get the problem resolved.

  • 734. Re: Is anybody else getting a yellowish hue on their new iPad?
    Cellostrings Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    crh24 wrote:

     


    All I can say is that moving from the original iPad, through an iPad 2, iPad '3' and now an iPad '4' I have never experienced a light leak nor have I had a dead or stuck pixel.

     

    I do feel for those that had and/or continue to have problems getting a good display.  If after several replacements I still didn't have a unit with a good display I would have been very unhappy.  Not being shy and retiring I would probably be just as vocal about the situation as others have been.

     

     

    Very good suggestion indeed! But sometimes it was really difficult to do so, all depending on who you would talk with. “Bad luck” was not the only self-explanation or persuasion. What I saw here as well as my own experience let me really wonder what Apple is doing.

     

    I did search the video clips online showing me how Foxconn assembles the ipads. It seemed that one unit must go through many hands manually to finalize. And those hands change their parts location regularly, to avoid fatigue causing by repeating the same maneuver by hours, days, months…. Probably that explains the variation between units. My understanding of ‘light leakage’ was that not only caused by the display itself, but by the force of assembling into the chasing as well, which was not even on or around the entire display unit. By twisting the alloy body of ipad, I could change the light leakage from here to there. But still I am wondering if any procedure of the assembling could cause color casting issue, if the problem is not only due to a defective display unit. Uneven pressure together with high temperature required to glue parts together could be a reason.

     

    So it seemed to me that not all the units will be perfect, theoretically. I really hope everyone here, as well as all Apple users could eventually be happy with what they expected and paid for, after trying and trying. That is also the only way that Apple can survive longer, for its own good. 

1 47 48 49 50 51 Previous Next