Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to KevCheng)
It would be nice if apple let us know that they are looking at this problem. I have one week to return this mac mini for a refund. If i don't i have to hope there is a fix soon. Otherwise it's going to be a hassle to get a good working mac mini or my money back. Luckily i'm living in Europe, where the consumer law is pretty strong.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to KevCheng)
So i recieved a call back from my 2nd level apple support guy, which i had sent the log files. he told me that this is a problem with the mac mini and not with any cable or tv or something else. apple is aware of this! he also told me that he was very angry because i could not get a sure answer from the apple technicians if 10.8.3 will solve the problem or if there will be an efi-update. he told me that this problme will be solved by software update for sure!
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to Philip Tyler)
Philip Tyler wrote:
I think Apple are aware there is a problem because they are 'capturing' faulty units to study. If they are going to those lengths they know they have a problem.
Correct. I was just on the Intel site and they posted this information regarding the issue:
"We are aware of the flickering issue, and there will be a fix provided in the future. The overall flicker issue is also being addressed here; http://communities.intel.com/thread/32932
Your OEM (Apple) will provide the driver with the fix when they are done configuring our driver (that has the fix)."
Sounds like a firmware update is coming and Apple just needs to time its release with the newly seeded 10.8.3.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to MyMac8MyPC)
aha... great news, thx MyMac8MyPC !
I've returned mine for a refund within the 14d policy, as the clearest possible signal to Apple that they need to make sure their products "just work", before they start shipping them. Some complaints on a forum doesn't hurt as much as massive amounts of refunds.
Hope the fix comes soon, so I can order a new one. Except for this issue, I really liked the little fella for the 2 weeks I tested it.
Now the flicker issue is one thing, I hope they also correct the wrong color profile for HDMI. (washed out light colors) This is as important to me as the flicker issue. But I'm sure you folks will report the results once 10.8.3 is there.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 3:47 PM (in response to mrxad81)
If the problem is resolved with a software update than darn! I got the refund. I actually still have the Mac Mini all packaged up and ready to be shipped back, but for some reason I have not had someone come pick it up. I have messaged Apple back about it and they have resent the request again since, but have heard nothing since then either. Why is this taking so long? Been over a week now.
But if it's a software problem then I'm pleased for you guys but not so happy with my situation as I am getting a refund haha.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to GetafeMagic)
Look at it this way, GetafMagic:
It's the safest way to deal with this. period. no more headaches ;-)
Nobody knows when the fix will arrive. It could be a few weeks, it could be months.
The alternative to not going for the refund, is wondering all the time if and when it will be fixed.
There's still a small chance they don't get it fixed, because it turns out to be hardware related after all!
In which case you'll be glad you chose the refund. And buy a later version with a 'real' GPU.
Since the problem first appeared in June with PC's, Intel had two BIOS updates so far for the HD4000, none of which solved the problem. So it's a bit wishful thinking, to hope the solution is just behind the corner.
The new Intel driver fix isn't available yet, will be in a few days. If the reports on that on Intel forums look good, and thats a big IF, only then we can start hoping for Apple to react soon.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 4:42 PM (in response to --A--C--)
Thanks for the reply, I understand where you're coming from, I did play it safe and know there is light at the end of the tunnel either way, I could just buy another one when the issue has been dealt with :p
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 5:19 PM (in response to --A--C--)
Folks, to be clear, the process is -> Intel releases an updated MRC file (v1.7 in this case, v1.5 and v1.6 did not fix the issue). Then Apple rolls the MFC code into a EFI release and tests it. If there is not a new EFI release containing Intel's latest MRC code in the OSX 10.8.3 package, then the issue won't be fixed in this round.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 8:16 PM (in response to KevCheng)
I am also having this problem. Have tried all sorts of cable configurations and around 6 TVs/monitors. I was finally able to capture a video of the drop out and posted it to YouTube. Hopefully some people see it and do a little complaining to Apple about this. I don’t think my call to Apple support (which led to about a 2 hour diag session over the phone) was enough to get their attention. The video is not so great but it does show the problem. Here is the link.Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 9:12 PM (in response to kitm)
That is fine with me, I want a fix for this and will hold on to my unit for now. But if they do not get a fix out or pull some under-handed new version release in a couple of months instead I hope to at least turn a few potential buyers away. This was my first and likely last Mac purchase, next logical step for me would be another Hackintosh project. At least then I could choose hardware that is known to work.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 9:24 PM (in response to BDAqua)
That looks promising, my only concern is the amount of time Apple will kick this code around before they get the driver out (and working). Seems to often that things like this get drug through the mud much longer than they should.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 27, 2012 9:49 PM (in response to Ryan1369)
my only concern is the amount of time Apple will kick this code around before they get the driver out (and working).
They won't rush anything because the last thing they want now is to have a 'fix' not work. History shows that people would be even more upset about that. I wouldn't be surprised if the first Macs to get 'the fix' are the ones with a known problem sent back to Apple. Those Macs are the perfect testing environment.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points