Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to zorian)
Maybe this will help:
Monitor the "More Like This" box for other threads on the subject.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 12:28 PM (in response to Eric Root)
Thank you for your suggestions.
Obviously i have already done some research. The discussion you link to is one of the first i read. It is also the reason i specifically mentioned that i do not use self signed certificates (which were the problem there).
So unfortunately this doesnt help.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to zorian)
Does the address in the FROM header exactly match the one in your signing certificate? Case matters.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 10:27 PM (in response to Linc Davis)
Yes it matches. Both the addresses in the FROM and TO fields match up with the addresses in the corresponding certificates. They are all lower case.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 11:25 PM (in response to zorian)
Let's be clear about something here. When you encrypt a message, you're using the recipient's certificate, not your own. If the recipient's certificate is expired, revoked, or otherwise invalid, you won't be able to encrypt a message to him or her. Is that what the problem is?
Currently Being ModeratedNov 29, 2012 11:33 PM (in response to Linc Davis)
Yes, i am clear on the basics :)
All certificates are valid well into 2013. the have been issued by recognized CAs. And they all work when i use them on my iphone. The problem is somewhere else.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 30, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to zorian)
Back up all data.
Run Keychain First Aid in the Keychain Access application. Test.
Export all S/MIME certificates, delete them, and reimport them. Test again.
Delete all the certificates again, then reinstall them from fresh copies.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 30, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to Linc Davis)
Thank you! Its working again now!
I first ran Keychain First Aid wihich found some problems and fixed them, but it still didnt work after that.
Exporting, deleting and reimporting the certificates did the trick.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 15, 2013 9:09 AM (in response to zorian)
So email encryption on iphone is always a pain for me. I get it working for awhile, then something happens and it stops. Doesn't matter which OS or model of iphone I have, it's always flakey. Usually what fixes it is just what we discussed here, deleting and reimporting the certificates. Now it's not working for me. I have an iphone 4S, my OS is up to date, and I have tried certificates by both Comodo and Symantec to the same effect--even though everything looks imported correctly and trusted, and even though I can read encrypted email from other people, I cannot create an encrypted email. I always get the "can't find the correct identities" excuse, but when I look everything's fine. I've tried deleting and reimporting, but no go. I'm guessing nobody has an idea about why this is happening, but if you can think out of the box I'm all ears. Thanks!
Currently Being ModeratedApr 17, 2014 11:29 PM (in response to zorian)
I ran into the exact same issue with none of the remedies mentioned here fixing my particular issue: I could encrypt messages using iOS devices but not using Maverick's Mail app.
I was using an email certificate from StartSSL, which was marked as "not trusted" by Keychain Access. I then decided to try out a different certificate provider and went with Comodo, which was "trusted" and, hooray, everything worked fine.