It can pair for all kinds of file sharing, tethering, etc. Here's some instructions as a workaround in case you get a connection error. This workaround is from Type2Phone Mac app where you can use your mac keyboard to type on iPhone. It's great.
When attempting to pair, your iOS device may not list your Mac or indicate that it is incompatible. The workaround is as follows:
- If the Mac is listed with a blue arrow, tap that arrow and select "Forget this device".
- Disable Bluetooth on the Mac
- Reenable Bluetooth on the Mac
- Set Bluetooth on the Mac to be discoverable
- Launch Type2Phone
- Now restart your iPhone / iPad
- On your iPhone / iPad, go to Settings > General > Bluetooth
- Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone
- Tap the name of the Mac to start the pairing procedure