Skip navigation

A few newb questions about Mainstage and its functionality

254 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 5:00 AM by Andrew Lee5 RSS
Andrew Lee5 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 3, 2012 4:40 PM

Hi guys,

I have a few simple questions about Mainstage, and am hoping some of you might have some simple answers. Not looking for "how to's," — I can figure that out on my own. I'd just like to know a bit more about its functionality before choosing to get lost in it.

 

1) Is it possible to use multiple instances of the audio "Playback" feature in conjunction with a MIDI foot controller and use a MIDI expression pedal to adjust the realtime volume of those loops? So, for example, could I trigger the playback of a loop with a foot switch, adjust its volume with my expression pedal, and then several bars later, trigger the playback of a second simultaneous audio loop and adjust its volume independently from the first, etc?

 

2) If the above is possible, is it also possible to *simultaneously* use Mainstage as a realtime, low latency DAW mixer and router to and from an 8-channel firewire interface? If I had a powerful enough laptop, is it possible to use some plugins — a few EQs, a few compressors, and a reverb plug, for example — without introducing an unacceptable amount of latency that would hinder a live performance?

 

3) Is it possible to use the laptop's built in audio out and a firewire interface at the same time? So, for example, if I had an interface with 8-outs, could I augment the setup with the built-in sound card and get 10 outs?

 

Thanks for any advice! This program seems kind of overwhelming. I really want to read the manual and am planning on it, but I have something very specific I want to do, and it's sometimes frustrating and difficult to find answers to simple questions in hundreds of printed pages.

 

Cheers,

Andrew

  • CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (8,520 points)

    Hi

    Andrew Lee5 wrote:

     

     

    1) Is it possible to use multiple instances of the audio "Playback" feature in conjunction with a MIDI foot controller and use a MIDI expression pedal to adjust the realtime volume of those loops? So, for example, could I trigger the playback of a loop with a foot switch, adjust its volume with my expression pedal, and then several bars later, trigger the playback of a second simultaneous audio loop and adjust its volume independently from the first, etc?

     

    Yes, but you may need more than one pedal or controller for completely independent control of volume for each Playback

     

     

    Andrew Lee5 wrote:

     

    2) If the above is possible, is it also possible to *simultaneously* use Mainstage as a realtime, low latency DAW mixer and router to and from an 8-channel firewire interface? If I had a powerful enough laptop, is it possible to use some plugins — a few EQs, a few compressors, and a reverb plug, for example — without introducing an unacceptable amount of latency that would hinder a live performance?

     

    If all MS is doing is a few Playbacks, it should be fine working as a mixer/router. There would be a small amount of latency (depends on your audio hardware drivers, and the overall speed of your Mac)

     

     

    Andrew Lee5 wrote:

     

    3) Is it possible to use the laptop's built in audio out and a firewire interface at the same time? So, for example, if I had an interface with 8-outs, could I augment the setup with the built-in sound card and get 10 outs?

     

     

    Yes. Mac's can use an "Aggregate Device" set up in Audio MIDI Setup.

     

     

    HTH

     

     

    CCT

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.