Currently Being ModeratedDec 6, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to Manny4Lakers)
You will need:
- MS Office 2011 for Mac OS X.
- You may want a mouse.
- You will want some good earphones or headset.
- You may need a carrying case.
- You do not need AV software.
- You don't need a protective skin.
- You may need a standard 10 foot Ethernet cable.
- You may need a couple of flash drives - 16 GB.
- You definitely need an external USB hard drive for backup.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 6, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to Manny4Lakers)
You can also get Pages, Keynote, and Numbers (Apple's Word, Power Point, Excel). if you want although MS Office if you're in school is going to be great
Most likele you will not need anti-virus software. It's much rarer for it to be seen on the mac since most virus writers write them for Windows. If you do want one, search in the App Store. Also below I attached some articles that should shed some light on this stuff since you're new. Hope this helps!
Currently Being ModeratedDec 6, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to Manny4Lakers)
In addition to the other suggestions you need Apple Care and an insurance policy (add it your homeowners policy if you can)
Currently Being ModeratedDec 6, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to Manny4Lakers)
Oh, allow me to add: some sort of reliable security so when you are away your computer can be locked down to prevent theft.
Leaving an unattended electronic device in a college is the same as just throwing or giving it away to a stranger. If it isn't nailed down then it will be stolen.