Try this after you appear to connect:
Go to Settings > Wifi > your network name and touch the ">" to the right to see the network details. If the IP address starts with 169 or is blank then your router didn't provide an IP address and you won't be able to access the Internet.
What is in all the fields you see?
I mis-spoke....while the address accepts the password, it is not connecting. there is no IP address listed, or anything else. the question is : why does the Ipad not connect, using the same address (there are two and it won't connect to either)...but the mac air and iphone 5 both can....same address, same password.
There is a chance that the router's DHCP service has hung or stopped and the router is not allocating LAN IP addresses anymore. If your device has an IP address you are OK but you can't connect anything new. This might be fixed if someone restarted the router. There is also the chance that the router has a maximum number of connections configured and that this number has been reached.
Some things to try first:
1. Turn Off your iPad. Then turn Off (disconnect power cord for 30 seconds or longer) the wireless router & then back On. Now boot your iPad. Hopefully it will see the WiFi.
2. Go to Settings>Wi-Fi and turn Off. Then while at Settings>Wi-Fi, turn back On and chose a Network.
3. Change the channel on your wireless router (Auto or Channel 6 is best). Instructions at http://macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-get-a-good-range-on-your-wireless-netw ork.html
4. Go into your router security settings and change from WEP to WPA with AES.
5. Renew IP Address: (especially if you are droping internet connection)
• Launch Settings app
• Tap on Wi-Fi
• Tap on the blue arrow of the Wi-Fi network that you connect to from the list
• In the window that opens, tap on the Renew Lease button
iOS 6 Wifi Problems/Fixes
Fix For iOS 6 WiFi Problems?
Did iOS 6 Screw Your Wi-Fi? Here’s How to Fix It
How To Fix Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue After Upgrading To iOS 6
iOS 6 iPad 3 wi-fi "connection fix" for netgear router
Apple's iOS 6 Wi-Fi problems
Look at iOS Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304
WiFi Connecting/Troubleshooting http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/wifi/
How to Fix: My iPad Won't Connect to WiFi
iOS: Connecting to the Internet http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695
iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199
How to Quickly Fix iPad 3 Wi-Fi Reception Problems
iPad Wi-Fi Problems: Comprehensive List of Fixes
Fix iPad Wifi Connection and Signal Issues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWtIG5jUxE
Fix Slow WiFi Issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=60&tstart=0
How To Fix iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue http://tinyurl.com/7nvxbmz
Unable to Connect After iOS Update - saw this solution on another post.
Note - When troubleshooting wifi connection problems, don't hold your iPad by hand. There have been a few reports that holding the iPad by hand, seems to attenuate the wifi signal.
If any of the above solutions work, please post back what solved your problem. It will help others with the same problem.