Currently Being ModeratedDec 9, 2012 11:01 PM (in response to jdaigle75)
...whether to go with a desktop or laptop??
Couch or bicycle, that's the question... you can sit on both... on one in one location, on the other in almost any location.
I'm really not sure how we could help you.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 9, 2012 11:32 PM (in response to jdaigle75)
I'm in the market for a new computer and I've finally decided to make the switch to an Apple product (always used PC's in the past). My only issue is whether to go with a desktop or laptop??
My computer use usually consists of web browsing, storing a lot of my music, and Skyping. I'd also like to be able to store, organize, and edit pictures, especially if I get a SLR camera sometime soon like I'm thinking. I guess along with the picture thing, video editing may be a possibility as well.
Would I be satisfied, and able, to do all of this on a laptop? I don't tend to do a lot of traveling, so something portable isn't always necessary I guess. I am thinking I could get a bigger bang for my buck if I get a desktop.....and then maybe down the road getting an iPad for the convenience of bringing something along during those random times that I may be on the road. Any thoughts??
In general an iMac will be faster, have better graphics, and be competetive longer than a laptop. There are always exceptions but that is the general rule.
With the exception of Skyping I've done all that you specifiy you wish to be able to do and I've done them on an iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air.
After a few years of owning an iMac (following 25 years with a PC) I've settled on a top of the line iMac for desktop which is for 90% of my computer use. The remaining 10% is split between my 2012 MacBook Air and my 4th generation iPad. When I travel (rarely but usually for a month or more at a time when I do--I use my MBA for editing etc. and my iPad for keeping up with email, weather and the news. I also stream music to my portable Bose SoundLink from my iPad via Bluetooth. Yes, I take the Bose with me when I travel. I use the iMac and MBA mainly for generating content and the iPad mainly for consuming content though I've done both generating/consuming content on all three.
So, it comes down to what you wish to do more conveniently. If most of your use will be at one place--for instance within your home--and speed is important to you then opt for the iMac. If most will be done in different places in and outside your home opt for the MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. The iPad will just be a bonus if you get one.
I have a 27" top of the line--except for a 3TB fusion drive rather than a SSD--currently preparing for shipment. Along with my MBA and iPad I will have all bases covered for several years. However, I got along with a single 24" early 2009 iMac for quite a while and was never unhappy with it. It is still going strong at a family members house.mid-2010 27" iMac, 16GB DRAM, OS X Mountain Lion, iPad '4'; ATV3; mid 2012 MBA;
Currently Being ModeratedDec 9, 2012 11:41 PM (in response to jdaigle75)
Also, keep in mind that the RAM in the new 21.5" iMac will no longer be user upgradeable; you will only be able to do that on the 27"; I've always purchased my Macs with the minimum factory RAM they came with and then upgraded that myself for far less money. If you plan on burning any CDs or DVDs, you will also need to purchase an external burner - iMacs will no longer include a DVD drive.