Skip navigation

Wiki Service error message (continuous) in OS X Server (ML) 2.2

9057 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2013 3:01 PM by Peter Graves1 RSS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
HenryS Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 12, 2012 4:59 AM

Screen Sharing Picture December 12, 2012 7.45.13  EST.png


I'm getting a continuouas "Error Reading Wiki settings" on my installation of OS X Server. How do I reset those Wiki settings? I do NOT have this service enabled, yet still get errors.


I am using only the minimal services- File Sharing, Profile Manager, Open Directory, MAS Updates (new with 2.2). Here's what the Wiki screen (unenabled) shows. The error pops up whenever the Server is running.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, (3,1) 3GB RAM, 2GHz, C2D, JBOD Ext.
  • basilmir Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    I was editing collabcore.plist and somehow i broke wiki 4 then it started to error out and no fix... put the original file back in... corrected permissions... restarted... nada.


    Not that i encorage you to do this but i had the exact same issue.


    I deleted the Server App and redownloaded. I asked me to setup a "new server" and i did using the same settings and name as the old one... it picked up the settings of the old one and wiki is up and running.


    I kept my fingers crossed through the ordeal.

  • Jon G. Hall Calculating status...

    Hi HenryS,


    Re: your message on


    I found the best information on what went wrong with my Server upgrade (but not how to fix it!) in Console, under /Library/Logs/PromfileManager/devidemgrd.log


    Perhaps there's a log corresponding to Wiki Server there too?


    Best wishes, Jon


    Message was edited by: Jon G. Hall

  • basilmir Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Copy it somewhere else. Then trash the server app. Wait and the mac will display a box informing you the server app is gone and services have stopped. Download the new app from the app store.

  • Jon G. Hall Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi HenryS, I tried many times to uninstall then install, but the same error would still be there. However, after I'd fiddled with postgres, the reinstall seemed to work. Of course, I can't say that it was the fiddling that did it.

  • greenvespa Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I've got the same problem, but I don't want to reinstall Server App because i don't want to lose users (open directory) and mails. I've got "Error reading settings" on Profile Manager and Wiki (Calendar and Messages are OK).

    Any others ideas to solve this problem without reinstalling?

  • basilmir Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Those are old manuals. These are the ones you are looking for.


    The OS X Server (Mountain Lion) Advanced Server Administration Guide


  • basilmir Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Open directory and all other service data are stored outside of the server app. They will not be deleted if you delete the app and will pe restored when you add the app back again.


    I can't guarantee this since your setup is unique and you are the only person who can take responsability for your actions BUT if you used the UI to make your setup there is 95% chance this is the case. The last 5% are up to the universe to decide.

  • basilmir Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Did you play around with the files before the error...? This might be somekind of permissions issue. Open Disk Utility and Repair the disk then Repair permissions.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next


More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)


  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.