1 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next 486 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2014 2:35 PM by Howard Brazee Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 210. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (74,875 points)

    BigPhilipK wrote:

     

    You may be in the wrong account section.

    Open iTunes. Then go to iTunes Store. In the upper left hand corner is a drop-down buttong that has you account name. Push that button and go to "Account".

     

    You will be on a page that gives you an account summary, iCloud info, Purchase history, and settings. Under "Account Summary" is the option button to de-activate all computers. It is next to the number of computers you have activated. I have 5 activated so the option is there. It is possible that if you have less than five, the option may not be there.

    The option is there is you have 2 computers authorized.It used to show up only when you had 5 authoprized.

    Doing this will not allow those computer to make purchases (until reauthorized) but it does not prevent them from playing anything on those accounts.

    If you do try to update an app or make a new purchase it will then prevent any DRM stuff from playing.

    If the computer is offline, it will work fine.

     

    The authorization is stored on the computer itself  (in the /Users/Shared/SC Info file), not at Apple. This allows computers to play protected content while offline.

  • 211. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

     

    If the computer is offline, it will work fine.

     

    Yes, that is true and I implied that in my earlier post.

     

    However, if you are on-line and play a DRM file, it will look to Apple for permission.

     

    It would be a real pain to always keep that computer offline when iTunes is running. Also, when, not if, that computer goes bad, then you lose access to all DRM files.

     

    Personally, I don't think Apple nor UV will pull access to our DRM files. My point is that they can do it if they want. Both UV and iTunes are equal risks.

     

    Your point is valid that it would take longer in iTunes for it to catch up to us. However, over time it would shut-down at some point.

     

     

    Message was edited by: BigPhilipK for spelling errors

  • 212. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I do not want to get too far off subject, but this is the SCARY part of the new digital world in which we live.

     

    Just this morning, I noticed that Season Two of Boardwalk Empire showed that it was in the Cloud. However, it was download to my computer. I went ahead and re-downloaded the files.

     

    Was it a fluke or did they edit some of the episodes?

     

    We know this is happening with books. Amazon Kindle has updated books many times to allow for corrections of errors. In the future, they may edit our digital books to change some important facts contained in them.

     

    This isn't conspiricy theory, tin foil fears. The power is there as long as we are online.

  • 213. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    Patty1 Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)

    The "Dark Knight Rises" combo pack I bought has a boldface sentence on the back of the package stating that the UV digital copy is not compatible with iTunes. However, how many online retailers included that information? Probably none. There's no mention of it on Amazon's page for the combo pack, for example. So if someone isn't familiar with UV (this is my first purchase of it), I could see them being surprised when they try to get their new movie into iTunes. Yes, they should have researched it first, but some of the blame lies with retailers.

     

    Anyway, I'd still like someone to verify that the only way to get TDKR onto my iPod touch is by re-downloading it directly from Flixster to the iPod via the Flixster app. Given that I can't view and manage the movie in iTunes, there's no way of simply transferring the file from my iMac to the iPod, correct?

     

     

    Patty

  • 214. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    El Pat0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Patty,

     

    Just to help you out, I used Flixter on my 3rd Gen iPod touch and was able to download a copy of Dark Knight Rises to it.  I also downloaded to my 1st Gen iPad and my Samsung Galaxy SIII.  I could only stream the movie on my Motorola Droid (1st Gen) but I assume that it is because the device does not conform to the requirements for downloading. I accomplished this using WiFi on each device.

     

    I am also able to stream & download on my Mac Pro @ work, my Mac Book, my Gaming PC and my Media PC.

     

    Addititionally, Flixter gave me a FREE MOVIE (The Perfect Storm) just for signing up for an account.

     

    You CAN NOT use iTunes to transfer the movie from your computer to your iOS device as it requires the use of its own Flixster desktop application.

     

    Hope this helps!

  • 215. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    Patty1 Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)

    Thanks, El Pat0, for confirming that I have to download the movie again if I want it on my iPod. That seems very inefficient, but I guess that's how they control unauthorized copies. :-(

  • 216. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (74,875 points)

    BigPhilipK wrote:

     

     

    However, if you are on-line and play a DRM file, it will look to Apple for permission.

    Except it doesn't. The computer is already authorized and that authorization is stored on your computer.

    iTunes on your computer does not go online and verify if your computer is authorized before playing anything

    And iTunes store does not go seeking your computer to deauthorize it.

     

    It would be a real pain to always keep that computer offline when iTunes is running

    It works fine. No problems at all.

  • 217. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    El Pat0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Wleger

     

    Despite the fact that your post has been edited, I thank you for your kind offer...I thought that I had to use a dating site for that sort of thing.

     

    I never said that I don't make mistakes. Obviously I found this thread after I tried to find out if I could transfer a UV movie to my iOS device.  What I didn't do however, was moan and ***** about how unfair it was that I could not use my precious iTunes...something that many of the people here are doing.  If you had read/researched for my previous posts, you would have seen that.

     

    So you didn't know about UV, that is OK, now you do and that is all I ask of anyone..."Educate Yourselves".

     

    It is the mindless blathering of the Lemmings that I take issue with, if you are not one of them then move on.

     

    BTW, I took this picture from the back of my copy of The Dark Knight Rises.

    noitunesjpg.png

     

    All it takes is a quick look before you open the package to see it is not iTunes compatible and you can return the unopened movie back to where you purchased it from.

  • 218. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Chris CA wrote:

     

    BigPhilipK wrote:

     

     

    However, if you are on-line and play a DRM file, it will look to Apple for permission.

    Except it doesn't. The computer is already authorized and that authorization is stored on your computer.

    iTunes on your computer does not go online and verify if your computer is authorized before playing anything

    And iTunes store does not go seeking your computer to deauthorize it.

     

     

    It would be a real pain to always keep that computer offline when iTunes is running

     

    It works fine. No problems at all.

     

    I am not going to de-authorize all 5 of my computers to test it, so it is possible that you are right.

     

    Nor am I going to turn off iTunes Match to test it.

     

    Like most people, I have always on Internet.   Every time I start iTunes it checks the store for both Match and new purchases from other devices. If Match is turned off, it still accesses the store to look for new purchases. I believe it also checks for authorization but I can't prove it.

     

    So we have to agree to disagree.

     

    I can't image Apple leaving such a large hole in their DRM. This is thier forum, so if there is such a hole they may fix it in thier next update after reading this thread.

     

    Still at some time in the future your computer will die and you would lose access.

     

    Again my only point is that both Apple and UV can pull your access to DRM material if they wanted to.

  • 219. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (74,875 points)

    BigPhilipK wrote:
    I can't image Apple leaving such a large hole in their DRM. This is thier forum, so if there is such a hole they may fix it in thier next update after reading this thread.

    It's been there since day one. Not so much as a hole but a way to more easily allow users to play their purchases.

     

    Again my only point is that both Apple and UV can pull your access to DRM material if they wanted to.

    True.

    This was one of the very first thing said about the iTunes store purchases and why it would fail.

    And one reason that Apple used AAC instead of MP3. MP3 cannot use DRM and to appease the labels so they could sell digital music, they had to use DRM.

  • 220. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    nrose101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

     

     

    Poppa,

     

    Get a copy of DVD Fab or similar and your Blu-Ray/DVD, convert it to iOS format and import it into iTunes...done. I did this with The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises.

     

    <Begin Rant>

    The problem here is that all these Applites have no concept of how to tinker with things.  "what? no iTunes support? wah wah wah"

     

    Stop being lemmings and LEARN how to solve problems instead of whining and ********.

    </End Rant>

     

    Hope that helps!

     

     

     

    It is called your are compressing a lossy copy already. If I have a digital copy I want it to come from the master!

  • 221. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    nrose101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    el Pat0 mp4 is not owned by Apple, and has a much better much better dynamic range than mp3. Do some research first please.

  • 222. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    El Pat0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Mr nrose101,

     

    While it is true that the mp4/m4a was not created by Apple, it is directly based off of an Apple technology called QuickTime.  Even the oft wrong or misinformed Wikipedia will tell you that.

     

    Also, I agree that the mp4/m4a is TECHNICALLY a better audio format. However, scientifically speaking, it has been proven that MOST people cannot hear the difference between a mp4/m4a or a mp3.  Encoding has also come a LONG WAY on mp3's in an effort to increase audio quality.

     

    The problem I have with the mp4/m4a is that it is not as universal as the mp3.  Most Microsoft based computers CANNOT play an encrypted or unencrypted mp4/m4a file without some form of 3rd party software (iTunes, VLC, etc) or downloading an audio codec to add to Windows Media Player.  Since over 80% OF THE WORLD use a Microsoft based computer, it would seem foolish to use a format that require a person to have to download something else just to listen to it...but people do.

     

    My car stereo even has a USB port that I can plug my iPod into or a USB Flash Drive.  The Flash drive is a neat feature since I can dump a bunch of mixes onto the flash drive, take them out to the car, and listen to them in a REAL WORLD environment.  Guess what, the USB port / Flash Drive thingy only works with MP3's.

     

    FYI, I am in the Recording Industry, we make music ALL DAY LONG so I know a thing or two about music.  When we send out music, we ALWAYS use the MP3 format because it is UNIVERSAL. 

     

    Enough research for you?

  • 223. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    El Pat0 wrote:

     

    I am in the Recording Industry, we make music ALL DAY LONG so I know a thing or two about music.  When we send out music, we ALWAYS use the MP3 format because it is UNIVERSAL.

     

    I know I am in an Apple forum, but this is the way I  buy music.

     

    I buy it from Amazon in almost all cases. Usually by CD or digitally by mp3.

     

    I then check iTunes store to see if the album and tracks are titled the same. Then I install or rip them into iTunes and make any changes to use the exact titles used by iTunes store. I then have them matched by iTunes and erase the files from iTunes leaving them in the cloud. Then I download the matched tracks from the cloud.

     

    Legal and the best of all worlds. Either a CD and mp4 or a mp3 and mp4.

     

    I never buy non DRM files from Apple.

  • 224. Re: Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?
    El Pat0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    BigPhil my buddy!

     

    I ALWAYS check Amazon MP3 first before I am forced to buy from iTunes.  My experience has shown that Amazon ALMOST always has a cheaper price than iTunes if they both offer the same thing.  Plus Amazon sells MP3 files which I prefer to mp4/m4a. 

     

    iTunes has a much bigger selection though.

     

    I assume you are using iTunes Match, I urge you to try out Amazon's Cloud Drive, you may fall in love with it.  iTunes Match will give you a MAXIMUM of 25,000 songs, Amazon Cloud Drive will give you a MAX of 250,000.  It you have a LARGE music collection, it is a no brainer.

1 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next