1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 3:41 PM by iphone_traveller Go to original post
  • 60. Re: Apple TV 5.1.1 Update
    stevebauman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    To update to 5.1.1 I followed the instructions in this thread to unplug Ethernet, use WiFi and presto, voila, like magic, it worked! Thanks everyone.  But, apple, wherefore art thou?

  • 61. Re: Apple TV 5.1.1 Update
    iphone_traveller Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Like others, I have struggled with the both the previous 5.1 and the new 5.1.1 update. Wifi works relately well, but ethernet was knocked out.

     

    I do however think I have found a solution which definitely points to a software based issue.

     

    My solution is as follows:

     

    1. Restore the device using micro USB direct via Mac and do a full restore and update.

    2. Instead of allowing the network settings to go to normal instead change the DNS server to use Google's DNS generic server of 8.8.8.8 - all of your other auto network settings should be fine.

    3. Setup your Apple TV as per normal entering all your details for iTunes Match etc.

     

    After doing the above, I seem to have no issues anymore using ethernet.

     

    Without doing the above, connection via ethernet is slow or simply does not work without using wifi to sort the connection out at some point. Using my DNS trick however seems to complete sort the issue out and does not require any wifi input at all.

     

    My take on the whole saga - seems apple has stuffed up the DNS side of things in their last two software releases and at least seems to have put my mind at rest that the last two software releases have caused no lasting hardware damage. To be honest, I was really surprised the solution above worked and hope my little trick works for others.

  • 62. Re: Apple TV 5.1.1 Update
    iphone_traveller Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Like others, I have struggled with the both the previous 5.1 and the new 5.1.1 update. Wifi works relately well, but ethernet was knocked out.

     

    I do however think I have found a solution which definitely points to a software based issue.

     

    My solution is as follows:

     

    1. Restore the device using micro USB direct via Mac and do a full restore and update.

    2. Instead of allowing the network settings to go to normal instead change the DNS server to use Google's DNS generic server of 8.8.8.8 - all of your other auto network settings should be fine.

    3. Setup your Apple TV as per normal entering all your details for iTunes Match etc.

     

    After doing the above, I seem to have no issues anymore using ethernet.

     

    Without doing the above, connection via ethernet is slow or simply does not work without using wifi to sort the connection out at some point. Using my DNS trick however seems to complete sort the issue out and does not require any wifi input at all.

     

    My take on the whole saga - seems apple has stuffed up the DNS side of things in their last two software releases and at least seems to have put my mind at rest that the last two software releases have caused no lasting hardware damage. To be honest, I was really surprised the solution above worked and hope my little trick works for others.

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next