The SQLite Browser solution worked perfectly for me, and wasn't even as scary as it sounded. It took maybe ten minutes to do including downloading the software. The hardest part was finding the download link for the software (you have to click on "Sourceforge Project Pages" on the upper right).
I ordered a prototype calendar and it printed perfectly. I ordered a bunch more and got a slew of cancellation notices regarding this issue and was reimbursed. I was directed to update my software and the problem persists. I can't believe that Apple can't fix this problem, and it has to be addressed through a database hack. This perfectly sums up why I am drifting away from the Apple ecosystem, and I definitely won't be building any more iPhoto products.
ska ska wrote:
I ordered a prototype calendar and it printed perfectly. I ordered a bunch more and got a slew of cancellation notices regarding this issue and was reimbursed.
ska ska - Can you clarify? Are you saying you tried the fix I suggested, and they rejected the orders?
I submitted my order last week, and so far they have not been rejected or cancelled. I haven't received the final product yet.
Can you tell us more about the rejected calendars, and what changes you made to the database to fix the font problem? (I'm tyring to understand why your prototype was accepted, yet subsequent calendars were rejected).
Has anyone else received printed calendars after using my suggestion?
Great to find a fix for this thing but it didn't go exactly as jdelisle described. T-Will mentioned adding the extra step of changing the theme and then changing back. That messed up my pictures but it did indeed fix the font. Fortunately I had made a duplicate of my calendar project and did the procedure with that one, so no harm. Here's what DID work for me:
After doing things as jdelisle described, I went back to my calendar and right-clicked on the project name under Projects on the left. I chose "Duplicate" and the calendar was copied with the large fonts. Whew.
Other notes: The link given to the SQLite site doens't give you the download link. You have to click on the right tab, "SOURCEFORCE PROJECT PAGES". Apple doesn't consider it a known developer so you may have to change your security settings to allow any download.
In step 11, I didn't see "Picture-Calendar-CalendarMonth". I think it said "CalendarHeader" at the end but that worked.
Finally, if you have a rebuilt iPhoto Library like I do, you need to work with that and not the standard iPhoto Library. Heh... that took me awhile to figure out because I had forgotten about that.
Thanks to all for the fix!
I was having trouble with Apple because they did not print my calendars for some unclear reason - in the German email that came 2 days after ordering the calendar there was something about "too short month names".
I guess now after reading your post here that they meant "too small", and now I have a guess how these names became so small! It must have been an accident.
But Apple support, neither of Apple print services, nor of Apple software, could help me.
These calendars seemed fixed in this small font forever, whatever I tried.
Now I will try the workaround described here!
Thanks for posting
thank you very much for the fix!
First, I was put off, because the calendars oviously staid the same after changing the database - but this was only due to the displayed thumbnails that were not changed.
So, one has to go into one page in detail, and then all the thumbnails are changed to the new changes...
But the result is not as expected:
I changed the font to 54, but now it seems that the font is bigger than new "virgin" calendars.
When creating a PDF and looking at it with acrobat, the new "virgin" calendar uses font size 54 for the month text.
My "changed" calendars with previously too small month text now are too big, even though I changed to 54, they are in the PDF 70.
Well, better than before and thank you!!
T-Will, unfortunately your workaround with changeing the theme an back, did not do the trick in my case.
AND - it messed up my pictures in the calendar.
All the best
no problem, it was not your tip that made me do it, but rather the email from Apple after my calendar was rejected for printing.
In this email, your solution was suggested.
In my opinion, changing the theme should not mess up the photos and layout.
But this is something Apple has to fix.
So - no worries, you did not make me do something that was harmful!
I was just replying for other people's sake.
All the best
I would revise your wonderful instruction in this way:
11. Locate a line in the "KHProjectTextStyle" table where the number in the "projectID" column matches the "modelID" you noted in step 9, and delete this entry completely
Do this for all the entries (lines) with this projectID
This way, everything will be set back to standard!
Basically, all "standard" calendars have no entry in the database.
Only if there are fancy font changes an entry appears.
In my case, editing the font entry gave me different fonts in the end result (do not ask me why).
I entered size 54 for example, but the resulting PDF showed size 70.
By using your instruction and revising it a bit, I got everything they way it should be.
JUST that it is too late for christmas, but this is Apple's fault.
Merry christmas and thank you for giving this great hint!