The audio portion of several, not all, movie clips have stopped working when placed in the project area. They are part of a movie with pictures and movie clips. I'm using a Project Theme of “filmstrip”. I deleted the clip from the project and re-added, still not working. Restarted iMovie, no change. Other details I would note are that the movie clips are actually downloaded from my camera into iPhoto. For several hours of editing this movie everything was working. Also, the clips play correctly in the events area just not in the project area. I started another project thinking that might fix this issue. The clips all worked initially but after several hours of editing, some stopped working there as well. Also, there is an issue of transitions freezing where a photo picture will stick on the screen while the cursor is blissfully moving along a video clip or two.
Tried to find similar problem in the community. I found that I should delete a cache.plist file for iMovie but I could not find such a file. Suspect my Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or iMovie ’11 version 9.0.4 (1634) is newer so …
Finally, called Apple Support, described all the above. There has been a problem with the audio in iMovie but it should have been fixed by software updates. What Apple recommended was to:
- (Before Quiting iMovie record your Preferences for iMovie – my add.)
- Quit iMovie
- Using Finder menu GO select Home
- Scroll to and open Library; then scroll to and open Caches; then scroll to and delete file com.apple.iMovieApp
- Close Caches
- Still in Library; Find and scroll to Preferences; open and scroll to and delete file com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
- Close Finder and restart iMovie
- It will open very slowly like it is for the very first time.
- You will have to reenter your preferences, from step 1. above, and other setups and visual setups for editing.
- To find my projects I had to click on the “HD” in the Projects area.
- All of this takes some time to perform but I found that it fixed my problem of random audio on clips not working and video freezing. Thank you Apple Support!!
If the problem recurs, I’m going to just delete the Cashes file as I think the other is a bit of overkill and makes the start up a lot more effort.