Skip navigation

How to backup iPhone SMS text messages?

137308 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2014 1:15 AM by Dennisume RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 Previous Next
OapAl Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 7, 2013 8:34 AM

Hi, I would like to get hold of my old iPhone 3GS text messages. I know that one can backup iPhone SMS when syncing with iTunes as iTunes would backup all sorts of iPhone data. However, the caveat in that is that I cannot use the iTunes backups in order to veiew my iPhone data. What I am interested is to have access to my old iPhone SMS text messages and be able to read them on my PC - is this possible at all. Maybe syncing with iCloud can allow me to do that when logging in to iCloud on my computer??

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.1
  • chrisfromgastonia Level 5 Level 5 (4,185 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to OapAl)

    You would have to use the backup to get them back on your phone. The only other way is google how to transfer messages to your computer by a third party app or program.

  • aThanasi Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2013 6:12 AM (in response to OapAl)

    OapAl wrote:

     

    What I am interested is to have access to my old iPhone SMS text messages

    If you have a new iphone and your are trying to tranfer your old iphone 3GS messages to your new iphone, then you just need to 1) create a backup of your old 3gs via iTunes (this is already probably done as with each sync, iTunes would backup your iphone messages, contacts, settings, etc) and 2) restore your new iphone from the backup you created. This willow you access of your old iphone 3gs messages on your iphone.

     

    OapAl wrote:

     

    Maybe syncing with iCloud can allow me to do that when logging in to iCloud on my computer??

    iCloud does not feature sms syncing as far as I know, so this is not possible.

  • Masosm56 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 12:48 PM (in response to OapAl)

    I have an Old backup of my phone on my computer. Is there any way to take old SMS messages from that back up, open them, then save them as a text format  to my computer? I accidently deleted the messages on my phone. I haven't done an update in awhile and do not want to put that particular backup on my phone.

  • eidiesomlia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 4:04 AM (in response to OapAl)

    That wouldn't be difficult.

    look at the toturial: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529

    Two steps to do that.

    First, transfer your sms to you computer. You can using this iphone sms transfer and its guide.

    Second, convert text file to pdf. Just use the adobe online pdf convert for simple text file.

    So that you can backup text messages on iPhone successfully!

    Hope it can help you!

     

    <Link Edited By Host>

  • sweetyjill Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:21 AM (in response to chrisfromgastonia)

    chrisfromgastonia wrote:

     

    You would have to use the backup to get them back on your phone. The only other way is google how to transfer messages to your computer by a third party app or program.

    you can not take back up of only text messages of your iPhone. once you connect your phone to your iTunes into your PC. then click on the backup, take the backup normally you do. it will take the backup of all the data which is there in your phone including text messages. but you wont be able to read your messages into your PC. you will have to transfer all the data to any of your iPhone in order to read the text messages.

     

    <Link Edited By Host>

  • joannayis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2013 6:59 PM (in response to eidiesomlia)

    eidiesomlia wrote:

     

    That wouldn't be difficult.

    look at the toturial: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529

    Two steps to do that.

    First, transfer your sms to you computer. You can using this iphone sms transfer and its guide.

    Second, convert text file to pdf. Just use the adobe online pdf convert for simple text file.

    So that you can backup text messages on iPhone successfully!

    Hope it can help you!

     

    <Link Edited By Host>

    If you have back up your iPhone text messages, you can restore from the backup.

    To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync:

    1. Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup

    2. If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup

     

    If you have no backup for your data on iPhone, iPhone data recovery software is your last shot! It's easy to use. Just a few clicks you can get all your data back.

  • holycharms Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:20 AM (in response to OapAl)

    iOS backup does indeed contain attached photos. Both iCloud and iTunes iOS backups contain attached photos as described here for iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

     

     

    and here for iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4859

     

    Note that you cannot see your backed up messages in either iCloud or iTunes as they are only accessible after you do a full factory reset.
    You can alternatively back up SMS/MMS along with their attached photos with third-party methods.

     

    <Link Edited By Host>

  • RaizYork Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:19 AM (in response to holycharms)

    holycharms wrote:

     

    iOS backup does indeed contain attached photos. Both iCloud and iTunes iOS backups contain attached photos as described here for iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

     

     

    and here for iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4859

     

    Note that you cannot see your backed up messages in either iCloud or iTunes as they are only accessible after you do a full factory reset.
    You can alternatively back up SMS/MMS along with their attached photos with third-party methods such as this one: How to Export iPhone SMS text messages

    But that software still need iTunes installed, I just want to transfer without iTunes.

     

    <Link Edited By Host>

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,480 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:13 AM (in response to RaizYork)

    How cute. You quote an earlier spam message, but change the target of the link to a different product. Battle of the Spammers!

  • Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:21 AM (in response to Lawrence Finch)

    It's getting utterly ridiculous!

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,480 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 7:30 AM (in response to Meg St._Clair)

    I assume that all of them are crapware or worse. If they were actual useful products they would not need to spam support forums and post fake endorsements.

  • Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 8:56 AM (in response to Lawrence Finch)

    I'm guessing people get paid by the developer if people click through on their link. Sort of an affiliate program gone bad.

  • letsgetbmx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2014 6:27 AM (in response to OapAl)

    I want to backup all of my messages too but i can't backup with itunes because everytime i go in to i it asks to restore my phone.

    anyone help me please?

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.