I purchased ATV3 at Christmas 12/25/2012. It began to have issues last night 1/11/2013. Streaming began to drop out at a rather intolerable frequency on the ATV3.
- Music over homesharing began to stutter, or not able to buffer properly and stop periodically. It would stop for 5 seconds every 10-15 seconds.
- My iphone was still working just fine accessing itunes on the same machine.
- Movie over Netflix needed to buffer for about 30 seconds almost every 5 minutes (i put up with this for about 30min).
- I switched to my network capable DVD player to access netflix to continue the movie. It is right next to my ATV3, and both are wi-fi. I had absolutely no issues streaming netflix with my DVD player.
- Airplay icon went missing on my iphone, as if the ATV was not available, at irregular intervals while trying to use airplay and/or mirroring. the ATV3 would seem to try to buffer youtube videos for minutes, but when switching Airplay back to the iphone streaming worked fine on the iphone.
- This morning after rebooting my PC, logging out of homesharing at both end and logging back in, and still having the same problems only with the ATV3, I unplugged it for 1 minute. After plugging it back in, it once again worked as expected.
With this, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is the ATV3 device and nothing else on my network.
I believe that the ATV3 may have a memory leak. There is a Software or Firmware fix that is needed. Until then I expect to see this again in a week or so depending on my usage.
ATV3 could possibly have a memory leak. If streaming on the ATV3 is giving you fits, unplug the device for 30sec to 1 min and then plug it back in. Repeat as necessary until Apple provides a SW/FW update - the system will need to be manually rebooted until fixed.
Please post here if you experienced similar issues and is was resolved similarly.