1st round (after updating to new iTunes)
- I was listening to music and playing D3, I quit the game and went on to open Safari when computer clocked
- After waiting for a while I manually shutdown and started up to a grey screen (comp would not start)
- After multiple restarts it finally displayed a folder w/question mark icon
- I dug up the original install disc OS 10.4 X and found my hdd to boot off of, comp looked like it worked
- I had to leave for a week+ and left it sleeping (figure'd I'll back everything up when I return)
- I came back and "woke" up my computer. It clocked almost immediately and it was back to the grey screen
- Multiple PRAM and general resets later (two SMC resets) I still cannot boot up
- Tried loading the Snow upgrade disc I had and although the process to get into startup disk and disk utility was a lot faster, it ended in the same result (my hdd was not available)
I went to the Genius Bar, they confirmed that it's an hdd failure (happy they we able to) and that it would be $2xx for hdd replacement. My first priority is to backup any data I can if possible and Apple does not do data transfers??? Genius told me to go to apple.com/buy and look for service providers (only open M-F reg business hours), I'll start calling on Monday.
Is there anything else that I can do or try on my own? Any thoughts/help appreciated
- Would Disk Warrior be worth trying (my comp is not even seeing my hdd)?
- Should I try opening iMac up to clean dust / check for loose connections?
- I have a new external drive Seagate GoFlex Desk hdd, OS 10.4 X could not install because of a volume check drive error?