Currently Being ModeratedDec 26, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
You can see from the info screen shot below that one file is 2.2 MB and the other is 4.1 MB. I did a web search for photo stream duplicate issues, and did not find one thread regarding this! I don't know what is causing the duplicates yet, but I have my suspicions. Here are three things that have changed recently which may be related to the problem:
1. I installed Aperture, which shares the same library as iPhoto.
2. I recently began sharing my photo stream, but I'm not sure if the dups occurred before or after that.
3. I created an Image Capture plugin which copies image files from my iPhone to a directory, changes file names to lower case, uses ImageMagick to add a small date stamp, etc. But I haven't even run this workflow on the two files listed below yet.
So, I'm still investigating...
Currently Being ModeratedDec 27, 2012 1:18 AM (in response to zBernie2)
I'd be looking at No. 3, as I note the file names are lower case...
Currently Being ModeratedJan 12, 2013 6:43 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
Evidently the duplicates in my photo stream are not caused by any of the items I mentioned previously. Here's all I have to do to reproduce the duplicate photos issue:
1. Take a photo with iPhone 4s.
2. Export the photo from photo stream, and add to my media library which resides on a thunderbolt drive.
3. Drag and drop the directory containing the photos into iPhoto. E.g., I dragged the "Christmas" directory to iPhoto recently.
Now the same photos in the photo stream AND the Christmas event both show up in the photo stream as a duplicate. Note that I'm using iPhoto in a reference library capacity. So I guess the question becomes, why is a photo in the Christmas event showing up as a duplicate in photo stream? Curious!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 13, 2013 12:12 AM (in response to zBernie2)
There's no way to use Photostream with a Referenced Library, so when you do your step 3, you're importing a second copy of the image.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 14, 2013 6:01 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
I don't understand how using a reference library results in photos referenced by that library, show up in photo stream twice, since I'm importing it as a separate event from photo stream.
I've read the pros and cons of using iPhoto as reference library, but it works extremely well for my purposes.. I have a 13 year old media library which is just over 200GB. But my iPhoto reference library is only 4.5 GB! The actual photos and videos reside on a 4TB thunderbolt drive. I then have a launchd job which rsync's the iPhoto library to my wife's iMac, and to my Macbook Pro. So I have most of the advantages of iPhoto and Aperture, without the huge library.
If I could only resolve this duplicate photo issue!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 14, 2013 11:06 PM (in response to zBernie2)
Apologies, I've been working on the basis that your issue was the files being duplicated in iPhoto not in Photostream. D'oh! as Homer Simpson might say.
iPhoto -> Preferences -> Photostream. Is Automatic Upload checked?
Currently Being ModeratedJan 15, 2013 6:11 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
Yes, I have "Automatic Upload" checked. I also have "Automatic Import" checked, which sounds like it could be the culprit too:
"Include my Photo Stream photos in Events, Photos, Faces and Places"