Could be many things, we should start with this...
"Try Disk Utility
1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Select your Mac OS X volume.
5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."
Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.
(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)
If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.
i dont a disc at this time.. see i live in the caribbean and these no apple stores down here.and everytime i open perferences a folder comes by up the name content..
and am hearing i should upgrade to snow leopard but i cant find it online .. and then again no stores down here is there any i get this upgrade online for or free on the apple store.. cause everything my mac keeps delelting
Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...
* Mac computer with an Intel processor
* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)
* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)
* DVD drive for installation
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.
Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...
Buy Snow Leopard >
Call Apple Sales...in the US: 1-800-MY-APPLE. Or Support... 1-800-275-2273
Mac OS X
Processor :2ghz Intel core 2 duo
Memory :2GB 677 DDR2 SDRA,
thats the version of mac i have.. btw cant snow leopard be downloaded or upgrade online..?
does it have to be purchases from the apple cant be brought on amazon ....? cause i lived outside the US