iMovie 5 - minimum G3 400MHz or better (last is 5.0.2)
iMovie HD6 - SORRY - NO - Minimum is G4- (733MHz) or G5-processor !.Updates and Upgades.• To get from one version to next e.g. iMovie 4 to 5 one must buy a secondhanded iLife 5 box / DVD.• to up-date within a version no: e.g. from 5.0.0 to 5.0.2 - should be free and found somewhere in Apple download archive (or better said - I don't know).iMovie History 1 - 6
Movie 1 (oct 1999)
• free to download from Apple.
• A gigantic step to open up Non-destructive Non-linear video editing possibly for everyone.
• FULL Video Quality from start - same engine as FinalCut Pro (QT)
iMovie 2 (july 2000) $50 - not free any more
• Shelf can hold more than 9 to 12 clips. Scroll-ably
• Zoom in/out on TimeLine
• Fast/Slow-mo slider
• Reverse a Clip
• Create a Still Clip
• Text size change - better
• TV-safe area
• Overlaying video - audio cont. & new video
• Lock audio to video clip
• Extract Audio
iMovie 3 (jan 2003)
• Chapter markers
• The most bug rich iMovie ever ?
iMovie 4 (jan 2004)
iMovie HD (5) (5.0.2) (jan 2005)
• can import HD
• Magic Movie introduced
• imports from MPEG-4 Cameras
• Audio wave-forms visibly on track 2 and 3 (not on video track)
• Needs Mac OS X.3.4 and QT 6.5.2 (included)
iMovie HD6 (6.0.3 or 6.0.4) (last one is iM'08 owner down-load-ably - and I think better) (jan 2006)
• BEST iMovie made EVER !
• Can open several projects in parallel and cut and paste between them (up to 10)
• Time-laps importing
• Audio tools - much better
• Mac OS X.4.4 for full functions - else runs on Mac OS X.3.9
• Apple designed Movie Themes
• iPod and web publishing with one to just a few steps
• QT 7.0.4 included
• full size preview
BUG - rep. all versions 1 to HD6. (iM’08 & 09 & 11 - unknown)
1. Do not Empty the Trash Basket in iMovie any version -
• Strange errors occurs and varies reg. version of iMovie
• The eventual gain in doing so - is not correct - it can’t trash movies if even just one frame is used in the TimeLine. So the figure given doesn’t reflect the eventual retrieved memory space at all.
So Just forget it. - Most safe way to work.
Emptying the Trash Basket on DeskTop/Finder - IS OK to do.
2. Audio problems when using a transition.
• Start to select video-clip before and after the place for the transition
• Extract Audio (from Advance menu)
• Now apply transition
• Eventual fine tuning of the ends of the extracted audio clips
3. ”Share to iDVD” forces iMovie to render movie - and for miniDV interlaced tape material - BADLY in till day known all iMovie versions ! - Just drop movie icon into iDVD project or import from within iDVD gives a much better result.
4. iMovie behaves strangely when free space on boot hard disk is <1.5Gb, slow under 5Gb
and stable over 10-25Gb. I never go less than 25GB
Yours Bengt W