1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 1:11 PM by tal1971
tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

I received my new iMac just over 1 week ago.

 

I've been reading that there is supposed to be a Recovery partition shown when you hold down Option key. But when I do this there is only the Macintosh HD shown?

 

Is there no recovery partition now on the new iMac's or is there something not right with my OS?

 

Thanks in advance


iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB
  • 1. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

    I have read that Late 2012 iMacs don't include a Recovery HD on the hard drive, so you can only access to Internet Recovery. However, if you press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting, it should be fine.

     

    If you want a Recovery HD, you can try reinstalling OS X, so it should be created. Press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and reinstall OS X

  • 2. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,780 points)

    If you are holding down the option key when you start to get to the Recovery Disk I've found it can be a bit hit and miss. For me, there doesn't seem to be an optimum moment to hold the key down to get to the startup manager.

     

    Another way you can check you have the Recovery HD is to try and boot into it by restarting and holding down Command+R. It should take you to a screen with four choices. After checking it out restart as normal from the Apple menu.

  • 3. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    Paul_31 wrote:

     

    If you are holding down the option key when you start to get to the Recovery Disk I've found it can be a bit hit and miss. For me, there doesn't seem to be an optimum moment to hold the key down to get to the startup manager.

     

    Another way you can check you have the Recovery HD is to try and boot into it by restarting and holding down Command+R. It should take you to a screen with four choices. After checking it out restart as normal from the Apple menu.

     

    When I hold down Command+R at startup, I get a window appear (OS X Utilities) with four choices which are:

     

     

    1: Restore from Time Machine backup

     

    2: Re-install OS X

     

    3: Get help online

     

    4: Disk Utility

  • 4. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,780 points)

    Well that's good news - that is the Recovery HD, so you do have it on your Mac.

  • 5. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

    That's Recovery. Do you see a globe while Recovery is charging? If you don't see it, your Mac is starting into Recovery HD, but your iMac doesn't show it when you press the Option key because of an unknown reason

  • 6. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    mende1 wrote:

     

    I have read that Late 2012 iMacs don't include a Recovery HD on the hard drive, so you can only access to Internet Recovery. However, if you press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting, it should be fine.

     

    If you want a Recovery HD, you can try reinstalling OS X, so it should be created. Press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and reinstall OS X

     

    If its not something that is on the 2012 iMac's then that's OK, I just thought that I was missing something that was supposed to be there. I don't fancy re-installing OS X has I'm a new Mac user (only had my iMac 1 week) and there is no guarantee that it would make the Recovery HD appear.

     

    You mention about internet recovery, what key combination needs to be pressed to access this option please?

     

    Thanks everyone for the help, its much appreciated

  • 7. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

    To access to Internet Recover, press Command, Option and R keys while your Mac is starting. Then, your iMac should ask you for a network, so choose it and your Recovery HD will be downloaded from Apple instead of starting from the Recovery created on the HD

  • 8. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,780 points)
  • 9. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    Paul_31 wrote:

     

    Well that's good news - that is the Recovery HD, so you do have it on your Mac.

     

    Or well that is good news, its just with the Recovery HD not been listed, I thought I was missing it. Thanks for confirming this for me

  • 10. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    mende1 wrote:

     

    That's Recovery. Do you see a globe while Recovery is charging? If you don't see it, your Mac is starting into Recovery HD, but your iMac doesn't show it when you press the Option key because of an unknown reason

     

    Thanks for the help

     

    Excuse me for being a bit thick, but what do mean "Do you see a globe while Recovery is charging"?

  • 11. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

    While Internet Recovery is starting, your iMac will ask you to choose a Wi-Fi network to connect to and then, you will see a world and a loading bar below

  • 12. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    mende1 wrote:

     

    That's Recovery. Do you see a globe while Recovery is charging? If you don't see it, your Mac is starting into Recovery HD, but your iMac doesn't show it when you press the Option key because of an unknown reason

     

    When I was pressing just the Command+R I just got the (OS X Utilities) window appear with four choices which are:

     

     

    1: Restore from Time Machine backup

     

    2: Re-install OS X

     

    3: Get help online

     

    4: Disk Utility

     

     

    When I pressed the Command+Option+R I got the spinning globe, then the exact same OS X Utilities window with the four choices appearing.

  • 13. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

    In that case, everything is correct. You have a Recovery HD that starts when you press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting, and you can use Internet Recovery when you press Command, Option and R keys while your Mac is starting. Don't worry about it and enjoy the iMac

  • 14. Re: No recovery device/partition shown
    tal1971 Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)

    mende1 wrote:

     

    While Internet Recovery is starting, your iMac will ask you to choose a Wi-Fi network to connect to and then, you will see a world and a loading bar below

     

    I got the spinning globe, but I am connected to the internet via Ethernet cable so no wifi prompt. I did get a loading bar which showed 5 (5 minutes) then I got the 4 options that I've mentioned above.

1 2 3 Previous Next