HT2905: How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes libraryLearn about How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 1, 2013 1:01 PM (in response to jeffsurfs)
- Make sure you have updated to iTunes 11.0.1 (or later).
- Enable the menu bar with ctrl-b if needed
- Use Edit > Preferences > General > Show list views for all media
- In Music use the Songs view, or select the List view for other media/playlists
- Use View > Display Duplicates or, more usefully, hold Shift and use View > Display Exact Duplicates.
Keep one of each repeated group of files and don't send to the recycle bin unless you are sure that there are multiple files on the disc as opposed to multiple entries to the same file.
There is also my DeDuper script if you don't want to do it by hand. This can preserve ratings, play counts, playlist membership, etc. which are lost in a manual clean up. Please take note of the warning to backup your library before deduping. See this thread for background on deduping and the script.