After step 3, when I press the home button and connect the USB cable to the phone nothing happens. It never turns on.
Some Users have reported that as many as 7 or 8 attempts were necessary before success.
Keep trying... take your time... especially around Steps 3 and 4.
If no joy...
Then a Visit to an Apple Store or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) is the Next Step...
Be sure to make an appointment first...
After trying a lot of things, I discovered that even though it was dead, I could "turn off" the phone, after plugging it, pressing the sleep/wake button exactly when the apple appeared, and sliding the red bar.
after turning it off like that, I tried step 3 again, and the computer recognized the phone.
I pressed the "restore phone" button on iTunes, and it started the process. After 30 minutes, it finished the process with the bar and everything (though during the process the phone kept showing the apple on and off) and.... it didn't change anything !! the phone won't turn on and it isn't recognized by iTunes.
I tried it all again from the beggining, and now after recognizing it, and pressing the restore button it says "extracting software" or something like that and after a few minutes it stops showing a "3194" error.
...showing a "3194" error.
Error 1004, 1013, 1638, 3014, 3194: These errors may be the result of the connection to gs.apple.com being redirected or blocked. Follow these steps to resolve these errors:
- Install the latest version of iTunes.
- Check security software. Ensure that communication to gs.apple.com is allowed. Follow this article for assistance with security software. iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.
- Check the hosts file. The restore will fail if there is an active entry to redirect gs.apple.com. FollowiTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting to edit the hosts file or revert to a default hosts file. See section "Blocked by configuration: (Mac OS X/Windows) > Rebuild network information".
- Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
- If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.
After I turned off the antivirus software, changed de internet security settings and changed the Windows hosts file, now iTunes shows me an error 21, after which the phone screen stays blocked in the recovery mode (with the usb wire and itunes icon), but it doesn't appear on itunes.
any more recommendations?
These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.
This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, using a different dock connector to USB cable, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections. If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.
If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:
- Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
- Restore and wait for the error.
- When prompted, click OK.
- Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
- The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
- Try to restore again.
If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.
See http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694 for more information on Error codes when restoring software using iTunes.
After trying everything suggested and more, I took it for repair.
Apparently, it's not a software issue, but a hardware problem. The motherboard died.
Unbeliavable considering that the phone has 2 years old, it hasn't been beaten, the "status" of the Apple brand and the OVERprices they charge !! The worst thing is that it is not a rare thing. I heard about 4 similar cases only in my aquaintances.
Total disapointment. Never buying Apple again.