I'm having the same issue, but to be clear...I had a bunch of songs that were errors or .mov audio files under iCloud status, I've removed those. I now have these remaining categories..."matched" "purchased" "uploaded" "waiting" and "duplicate" and "ineligible" The ineligible ones are the ones with too low a bit rate, got it. But some have a high enough bit rate, and I'm not sure why they're ineligible....but that's not my question.
Should I remove ALL INELIGIBLE files from iTunes? Or just the ones that say error or had an exclamation point next to them?
My match gets to step three, uploads 5-10 songs, and then goes back to step 1 again. Very slow process...driving me crazy.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
I'm still hanging during the match process...I've been inspecting iTunes in Activity Monitor by sampling process and clicking on Open Files and Ports as you've suggested to try to determine the file that is halting the process, but after pouring through hundreds of lines of text, I don't seem to be able to find anything that looks like a song title.
I've saved the text from several samples, where exactly should I be looking in Activity Monitor to find the offending file?
Thanks for your input!
Same issue here, but I resolved it using a windows VM. ML is definitely the one to blame... Match runs like a charm inside a Windows XP VM (ML as guest OS) using same network, router and everything. No need to increase upload bandwidth, upgrade router firmware or doing some exotic dance around a rhianna picture on the floor. On ML Match loops and there's nothing you can do about it for now.
First the spotlight indexing issue on lion (fixed with the supplemetal update) AND mountain lion, then this one... Apple reliability is starting to fall apart and it takes MONTHS to have a bug resolved. And please, remove the stupid 25k songs limit.
I spent the past few days battling this exact problem and believe I have fixed it.
I believe this actually is an ISP related issue (even if that sounds like BS at first). I do not have these problems when I use the internet at work, or use my personal hotspot on my phone, but I do have them on my home internet (Comcast).
I believe that when iTunes Match begins uploading, it maxes out the uplink bandwidth of the Comcast connection, renders it useless and causes the connection to time out. iTunes Match thinks the connection died, and it stops, then restarts.
The way I fixed it was limiting my maximum upload bandwidth via my router. My router (Netgeard WNDR3700) has a setting that allows me to set up maximum uplink bandwidth. Speedtest.net told me my connection had 4-5mbps up, so I limited it via my router to 2mbps.
As soon as I did this, my uploads began working without timing out and restarting.
After a lot of frustration I finally got it to work with the suggestions here.
This solution may work for people who have their music on an external drive.
ONLY FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE. THIS TAKES FOREVER
My take on this, is that is is a problem on the side of Apple’s server, so nothing you do with your own library will help.
These are the steps I took.
1. Restart iTunes
2. Run "Update Genius" to get all the songs statuses straight
3. Run "Update iTunes Match" until it gets stuck.
Now all the song that still need to be uploaded are on status "waiting".
Because the songs have this status, the option to right click and hit "add to iCloud" is not there.
4. I force-removed the external disk and waited for the "iTunes Match update" to finish (it finishes because it can't find the songs anymore).
I used the Terminal to remove the disk with the line:
diskutil unmountDisk force [disk location]
If you have your songs on your startup disk, maybe temporarily changing the folder where the songs live could create the same effect. I haven't checked though.
Now the songs that have to be uploaded are marked as "error" (the cloud with the !-mark)
5. Make a smart playlist with the following filter:
- iCloud status is error.
6. Quit iTunes
7. Reconnect the disk/re-rename the folder
8. Open iTunes and play a song to make sure the connection works, preferably something by Squarepusher
9. Create a "normal playlist",
10. Drag all the items from the smart playlist into it.
11. Select a couple songs, right click and "add to iCloud"
12. Wait for it to finish or stop the process if it gets stuck
For me, a batch for 25 songs per seemed to give me the least problems.
13. Rince and repeat
It took me a full saturday and sunday to complete this process.
It’s damaged my liking to Apple quite a bit. I hope they fix the issues soon, I wouldn't want too much people having to go truth all this.
If it's all in the cloud, the service seem to work fine.
Hope this helps!
I found a solution in case your MATCH is still buggy...
JUST BOOT YOUR MAC HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY (until you see a progress bar).
Then in itunes disable and re-enable iTunes Match.
It should rescan all your library and eventually works.
At the end just reboot your Mac normally.
Best regards from Paris.