Skip navigation

So ios 6 will not be on ipad 1.

59454 Views 185 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 7:15 PM by deggie RSS
  • iThink-iLive Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 8:23 AM (in response to Meg St._Clair)

    It is basic salesmanship, you don't encourage others to buy your competitions product, instead you say something like "it was decided the old hardware could not performe to acceptable expectations with the new system, but it should serve you well for many more months."

    iPhone 5, Other OS
  • Philly_Phan Level 6 Level 6 (11,010 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 8:30 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    You are incorrect.  However, it is your right to purchase other products if you believe that they suit your desires better than the iPad.

  • MLadd Level 3 Level 3 (645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 9:48 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    iThink-iLive wrote:

     

    It is basic salesmanship, you don't encourage others to buy your competitions product

    First, you're a poor sales person.

     

    Second, coming into the community support forums to bash the company because they don't like a very simple (and essentially required) policy in the industry has nothing to do with trying to buy or sell anything.

     

    Third, If they (or any one else) had tried to ask for support or information of this community instead of complaining and ranting, they may have received assistance on learning how to back up the original apps. If it is determined later that an app update no longer works on their iPad, they could roll back to the version that did work. But instead of attempting to find a solution (which would make this thread a lot more useful), it has instead turned into a complaint board.

  • iThink-iLive Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:05 AM (in response to tonefox)

    Quote: "Having been a strict Apple user for over 28 years, and a computer user for 44 years, you should try to get a grip on how the technology just keeps on accelerating. I speak as one who threw a £7500 Mac IIfx over the wall at the local dump after the local schools refused it for free."

     

    Why did you need to dump it?  How old was it when you dumped it? 

     

    Computers last longer if the OS is updated.

    When the user find performance below what he needs, he gets a new one.

    If hardware performance is good, but OS company refuses to upgrade he feels cheered.

    If hardware is less the. 2 years old, he feels betrayed.

     

    What's more, the artificial push to replacing your hardware every 18 months simply adds to the landfills of the world.  iPad 1 needs one more update to keep the customers safe with Apple, and stay loyal.

     

    Last word, Apples transition from PPC to Intel, and support was legacy PPC software was very well executed, just the right amount or time to transition.

    iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1
  • Philly_Phan Level 6 Level 6 (11,010 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:07 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    iThink-iLive wrote:

     

    iPad 1 needs one more update to keep the customers safe with Apple, and stay loyal.

    Why?  Mine and millions of others work just fine.

  • Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:19 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    iThink-iLive wrote:

     

    It is basic salesmanship, you don't encourage others to buy your competitions product,

    But no one here is selling Apple products. We are here to give technical support.

     

    And, as an actual professional sales person, I don't sell people things that don't meet their needs. It's a sure way to lose a customer.

  • iThink-iLive Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:22 AM (in response to MLadd)

    So, You WOULD encourage others to go across the street and buy a competing product?  (I did not say not too, just explain that for customers satisfaction, it was better not to offer new OS for old hardware)

     

    If THIS board was made only to help others solve problems, why does this post exists?

    It should have been deleted or locked months ago, yet 5 months later it still here, still getting posts.

     

    Flaming on others because you disagree is practically worthless compared to someone lamenting he will not have iOS 6 in a relatively new (as computers go) iPad.

     

    Besides, you do not know if I work as a salesman. 

  • iThink-iLive Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:25 AM (in response to Meg St._Clair)

    "But no one here is selling Apple products. We are here to give technical support."

     

    So how come this thread is not locked?

  • Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:27 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    iThink-iLive wrote:

     

    "But no one here is selling Apple products. We are here to give technical support."

     

    So how come this thread is not locked?

    Are you suggesting it's not locked because we are selling Apple products?

     

    If we are selling Apple products, there's been a serious miscommunication about where to send my commision check.

  • MLadd Level 3 Level 3 (645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 11:32 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    iThink-iLive wrote:

     

    So, You WOULD encourage others to go across the street and buy a competing product?

     

    I do it all the time. I get more sales from people who I was honest with, than having to deal with returns because I tried to sell them my product knowing full well that they would be better off with a different product.

     

     

    just explain that for customers satisfaction, it was better not to offer new OS for old hardware

    That has been done on these discusion boards over and over and over again, but yet people still want to argue about it, saying they KNOW it's possible.

     

    If THIS board was made only to help others solve problems, why does this post exists?

    It should have been deleted or locked months ago, yet 5 months later it still here, still getting posts.

    Anyone can flag any thread or individual posting VERY easily. Feel free to do so. This particular thread is here because the original post asked a simple question that has snowballed to idiotic proportions. Apple does not scan the thousands of daily posts to determine if they should or should not be close or not.

     

    Flaming on others because you disagree is practically worthless compared to someone lamenting he will not have iOS 6 in a relatively new (as computers go) iPad.

    I flamed you? In what way? And if you think a 2+ year old tablet (as computers go) is new, than you need to do a little research first. The answer has been given hundreds of times across dozens of threads (probably more) but yet people STILL want to come in here and continue complaining. SOOO, we restate our answers, and people still don't LIKE them, so then it gets personal, like this appears to be going. It's very easy. If you don't like a policy, please let Apple know using the feedback links. No one on this message board can DO anything about it besides respond with the same answers every single time.

     

    Besides, you do not know if I work as a salesman. 

     

    You are correct, I don't. But by claiming someone doesn't understand basic salaesmanship you are implying that you are in some way, directly or indirectly, in sales or have a strong knowledge of it. Otherwise, why make the statement?

  • iThink-iLive Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 9:17 PM (in response to Meg St._Clair)

    That is a defensive reaction statement.  Surly not hiding something.

     

    It is simple.  This thread serves no purpose to this forum, worse, is a distraction. Lock it. 

  • iThink-iLive Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 9:41 PM (in response to MLadd)

    I get less heat from an NRA forum discussing gun control.

     

    In your earlier post:

    "First, you're a poor sales person.

     

    Second, coming into the community support forums to bash the company because they don't like a very simple (and essentially required) policy in the industry has nothing to do with trying to buy or sell anything.

     

    Third, If they (or any one else) had tried to ask for support or information of this community instead of complaining and ranting, they may have received assistance on learning how to back up the original apps. If it is determined later that an app update no longer works on their iPad, they could roll back to the version that did work. But instead of attempting to find a solution (which would make this thread a lot more useful), it has instead turned into a complaint board."

     

    1. You accused me as a poor sales man, an over reaction to my comment that simply saying something akin to "tough" is like saying "don't like it, we don't want you".

    It's simple, customer is disgruntled iOS 6 is not for iPad 1. While you will point him to Android, I would explain Apple decided 6 on the first iPad would not work right, but the iPad 1 will still serve you well until he decides to get a new one.

     

    The above is quite different then if a person needs to run business apps, at which point I would suggest Windows would be likely a better choice (but point out one can run Win on Mac, if he wanted to use Mac)

     

    2.  Critical of one decision doesn't not equate bashing an entire company. But if you say I am, then I seem to be in good company, with a number of others critical of the same reason.

    And I too this as a direct flame.

     

    3.  So why is this completely unhelpful, completely distracting thread still around?

    For that matter, why are you even replying to me?  It only further perpetuates the criticism, keeps it on top.

     

    Lock this thread.

    Or ignore it.

  • MLadd Level 3 Level 3 (645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 5:31 AM (in response to iThink-iLive)

    ....Or just unsubscribe from the thread, like I am doing now.

  • Tomviolin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 8:10 AM (in response to Naka71)

    One aspect of this situation makes it quite different from the obsolescence of traditional desktop and laptop computers in the past is that the device is locked down by design and all software that goes onto the device must come from Apple. Yes of course you can jailbreak it, but the clandestine nature of that operation severely limits the market.

     

    It's the flip side to having the hardware and software come from the same place. You'll never see this with a Windows computer because Microsoft -- with the possible exception of (ironically) the Surface tablet -- still stands to make money on Windows upgrades even on older machines with borderline specs.

     

    So bottom line (literally) is that since Apple doesn't charge for iOS upgrades, they have zero incentive to release iOS 6 for the iPad 1.

     

    Personally I'd gladly pay $50 to get iOS6 on my iPad 1. I wouldn't have a problem with, say, getting free iOS updates for the first two years and then after that paying a reasonable upgrade fee.  It would, I think, keep a ton of perfectly good older hardware out of the scrap heap for a while.

     

    But that's just not how Apple works. At least not yet. So in the meantime we just have to realize that's what we're getting into. 

     

    Another positive suggestion:  set up the Apple store so that previous versions of apps are available, particularly "last iOS 5 compatible version" and so on. This could really help the obsolescence factor.

     

    Anyone else with positive suggestions?

  • kkncrew Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 9:49 AM (in response to Tomviolin)

    My Autistic Son, has the orignial IPAD 1 - which has been wonderful for him, both at home and at school!  It was 'touted' as the greatest tool for kids with autism!  Autistic kids will really benefit from this. 

     

    All of this is true.  However Apple in it's short-sidedness to this special community of users - many of which cannot afford to upgrade to new, quicker, better versions of IPAD - nor need to for the most part because their original IPAD (which was not an inexpensive purchase) still work wonderfully - if it's not broke don't fix it....mentality ....money does not grow on trees either especially in this economy....)

     

     

    anyway  we cannot upgrade to OS6 which would allow my son to access 2 wonderful new and reasonably priced APPS now available for the ipad - from a great company CRICKSOFT - who gives this population access to the written word - and now offers their programs as apps. - unfortunately it will not run on the original ipad - and there does not seem to be a "patch" of cost-effective way to incorporate this or any other 'new app' that will come up especially designed for the Special Ed population.

     

    I hoping, = please oh' please someone from apple will read this and pass it on to the powers that be - and this problem will be solved ASAP.

     

    Anyone out there who know WHO COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SITUATION.  Please reply to my post!

     

    Thank you all for reading and really hoping there is a positive outcome in the near future.

     

    Please excuse any 'think-os' or typos - they are due to user frustration!

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.