Works great, thanks for the tip. I used screen shot (command+shift+3) to grab a picture of the files, turns out it was some synced voice memos. Deleting files from your HD doesn't do the trick, you have to empty trash, AND restart Itunes, it wasn't enough to stop and start Match.
Another failure of a simple function for Apple.
Turning off iTunes worked for me twice, but no more. Like others, hanging on Gathering Information.
I tried the Opening Files and Ports option described and two things appear very different for me: I don't see any album, song, or artist files at all, and while it's running it's only using 3% of CPU as compared to the 60% I'm reading for others.
Also tried looking for duplicates, deleting waiting ones and for that matter all identical ones. Still no luck.
just got off of an hour + call with support -- with success!
i'm not sure what version of ios or itunes you're running, but i'm using the latest version of both mavericks (10.9.2) and itunes (11.1.5). here's what we did:
- stop match
- select the "songs" tab
- scroll all the way to the bottom of your library; you'll see all the songs that you're trying to link up with your cloud (little dotted line cloud icon), as well as any "problem children" that may be living in your library
- duplicate songs are indicated by 2 little cloud icons stacked on top of one another with one diagonal line through the cloud
- songs that aren't able to be synced to the cloud have just one cloud icon with a diagonal line
- remove those problem children from your itunes library (though you don't have to delete them from your hard drive)
- also remove any of the songs/albums that you're trying to upload to the cloud from your library (but not your hard drive)
- quit and restart itunes
- in the itunes "file" menu (top of your screen), click "add to library"
- find the new files (not the problem children, only those with the dotted line cloud icon) that you'd like to add and match and open them
- in the itunes "store" menu (top of your screen), click "update itunes match"
- wait for magic to happen.
i hope this works for you!
How weird - we were on semi-parallel tracks. I was on the phone with Apple support too, but while I was on hold I realized that I hadn't emptied the garbage since I deleted the duplicate tracks (a step from further up the thread). I did that and clicked on iTunes and BINGO! It was already halfway through matching! I will definitely save the steps you posted in case (I guess it's probably more like when) it happens again. Congratulations to both of us and thanks!