I'm having the same trouble with my AppleTV 2. It tells me to press Menu if nothing happens to go into Settings. I called AT&T Connect support and they said to call Apple. Luckily I have another AppleTV 2 and it works fine. After a couple years and $ 99 dollars, I guess they are disposable.
Installed today my ATV and had the same issue. Everything was Ok except the network setting time and date
Enabling port forwarding in my router/advanced section & restarting the router solved finally the issue and everything is working perfectlty now.
See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2463 for more detials about the TCP and UPP ports
Had similar issues with my ATV2 not being able to set the date and time. I tried resetting, restoring, restarting and all would seem to get stuck at the setting date and time. I finally uplugged it and plugged it straight into my MacBook Pro with the micro usb cable (didn't even need the power cord). Through iTunes I clicked on Restore. iTunes took over and did a complete restore including a firmware update. Then when it finished it said to plug it back into the TV. When I did it asked me to set the language, set the wifi network and password (the usual startup stuff) andvoilà! It works again.
Hope this helps.
I was able to get my Apple TV working again by downgrading the firmware following the instructions in this message:
In case that message disappears, here's my translation:
1. Connect your Apple TV to your computer via USB. Don't plug in the power cable.
2. Download the older 5.0.2 firmware from Apple here:
5.0.2 (Apple TV 2): AppleTV2,1_5.0.2_9B830_Restore.ipsw
5.0.2 (Apple TV 3): AppleTV3,1_5.0.2_9B830_Restore.ipsw
3. Open iTunes and select the Apple TV. Hold down the option key and press the restore button at the same time.
4. In the dialog that opens select the firmware that you downloaded.
5. The restore process will take a few minutes. Once it's done plug your Apple TV back into your TV. If the date and time message persists just press the menu button to skip it. This got mine working again.
Good luck !!!
Currently Being ModeratedDec 26, 2013 11:03 PM (in response to donna188)
I made a serious mistake. I changed my macbooks date and time. This year is 2013 but I selected 2000.
Now, I cant not browse on google (I am attaching a screenshot for it). I cant open lots of websites as well.
some programs are not working. and when I click 'open date and preference', its not working as well...
Do you have any idea to change time and date from any other option? I will be so grateful please help me...