Hi. I have had major issues the past few days.
Here are my technical specs:
iMac Late 2012 model
Intel Core i7 3.1Ghz with Turboboost to 3.9Ghz
1TB Fusion Drive
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GT 650M 512MB
So here are the issues that I have had..
1. I went to use Bootcamp and got "Files could not be moved"
2. I figured out that I needed to repair my system OR reinstall OS X. I learned via the Apple Website that using Recovery Mode you can reinstall OS X without removing your files. I got an installation failed error which messed my system up. I needed to use Safe Mode to recover because at that point I knew there was no going back.
3. At this point I needed to erase my drive to reinstall, I got an installation failed error again(the answer to my issue before was to erase and install cleanly). This made my iMac completely useless.
4. I needed to find an alternative way to install, I decided to use the Macbook to make a bootable installation of Mountain Lion. This didn't work. When I plugged it in to my iMac I got a stop sign(Circle with diagonal line, the same one you see when you download a Rosetta app on Mountain Lion).
5. I decided that it was necessary to install OS X on my USB stick. The method I used was unlocking the little lock on the Get Info panel, and then I unchecked that "ignore ownership"(I believe is what it said). Then it recognized it as a regular hard drive. When I did this and put it into my iMac, I got the stop sign again. At this point because I saw that Disk Utility detected this in recovery mode, I decided to clone the hard drive to the Mac. Of course this failed, as expected, but it was worth a try.
6. I ended up using my external hard drive to fix this problem by installing it on there and then cloning it.
If you read the above, you will notice all of the things I did, which work on any other Mac(including the old Macbook), do not work. This is when it gets bad.
1. If I go to Disk Utility and hit "Verify Disk" it will say I have a problem. Then when I hit "Repair Device" it goes though the fixing and then says
"The disk “Mac Install External ” could not be unmounted"
Afterwards it says to repair the disk. So as you can see. I have some problems here. This problem is still occurring after the reinstall. This is the main thing I am concerned about because I feel it is effecting other areas as well(When I use Bootcamp I get the same error, if I partition using Disk Utility I get an error about resizing....). Any solutions?