Well, it's been a couple days. And so far, I'm happy to say that the problem appears to be fixed. How did this happen? No idea. Will it happen again? Who knows!
It does make concerned. I have this password and photo setup specifically to aid in the unfortunate instance of theft. If my picture changes... then it's all a waste.
I did have my computer stolen once. It was an awful experience. There was no password or anything. And since then, I made sure I kept a password and my picture. Especially since a Chinese friend had his stolen (before mine, but from a different place) and that was the only way he got it back. The thief took the computer to a store or repair shop to get help, saying he forgot his password. Seeing that it was in chinese, and the guy inquiring was not chinese, the clerk got the wonderful idea to call the police.
I certainly don't plan on having my computer stolen again... who does? But if that happens, this is really a wonderful to hope that it'd be possible to get it back. Yet, if Apple's OS suddenly decides to do something on it's own, who knows? And, the fact that OSX doesn't (or at least didn't) do stuff on it's own... isn't that why we're all with Apple and not Microsoft???
Please, I beg everyone to visit the apple feedback and report this. We know from the video presentations that they do read the input.
Hi, I just found out this thread to see any solution for this. Found nothing but tried something and it worked out!
So here's what I did:
1. Open my Contacts (I am using Mountain Lion 8.2)
2. Find my own contact there. I already had put my picture on it before.
3. Click the photo in my own contact and then you will see pretty much the same template in login photo, like "Camera", "Recent". By clicking that photo, it then goes to "Recent". You might know what steps to take next
4. Go to System Preference, Users & Groups. Open the lock with your password.
5. Click on the login picture, and click "Recent".
6. Et voila!
- Go to the contacts and select your own card.
- Click on your picture, a few options appear - select Recent or Default.
- I clicked on recent and closed the contacts.
- Now go back to System Preferences - Users & Groups - Click on your login Pic - select RECENT and you will see the picture you added to Recent from your contacts.
- Select the desired Picture and save.
- Restart the macbook.
I did the above and it worked.