thanks for this scott
i followed your instructions and was able to see the default itunes genre images, and the .plist file shows all the correct genres listed, yet in my TV library, itunes is still pulling in the cover for an episode in the first alphabetically listed show in there (eg, Family Guy for the simpsons)
do you, or indeed anyone know how to get it back? i have deleted/reimported the xml library file, still the same. i have tried putting the shows in a "dummy" genre, such that the default genre is now "empty" and then moving back - still nothing...
any ideas more than welcome!
i also tried the software that was recommended on this thread, and got nowhere sadly!
Sorry I can't be of anymore help. If you followed my instructions exactly, e.g., closed and reopened iTunes after you made the changes I can't understand why it didn't work. The only other reason I can think of is that the naming you used in iTunes, the new default genre artwork you added to the Resources folder or the change you made to the .plist file are not consistent in some way. I'm sure you already did this, but if not you might want to recehck everything you did. I too hope someone posts an easier solution to this issue as it seemed it was much easier to change this in the prior iTunes version.
thanks Scott, yeah i did try doing exactly as you suggested, what's more weird is that the original itunes art seemingly "disappeared" this week, and it's only affecting TV shows, movies are absolutely fine. also, the TV artwork for individual shows, which formerly showed the artwork for the first series, now shows the last series. just seems a bit screwed up. i have tried rebuilding the library, i think i may import TV shows again from fresh, see what that does!
thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated!
Hey, so I had to do some trouble shoting to get this done. So, if you follow Scottkbender's instructions, you'll be doing good. However, if you find that you get a pop--up saying that you cannot edit this file because it's locked, follow these basic instructions:
1) Try messing with it in order to instigate a pop-up asking you if you would like to duplicate the file. Click duplicate.
2) In the new file, go to the Text Edit preferences, then "open and save."
3) Check the box under, "when saving a file" conserning adding the .txt at the end, in not already selected. Then, close out.
4) Make the changes specified by Scottkbender.
5) When you save it, you have to get rid of the original genres.plist file (hopefully, you copied it somewhere else or didn't empty your trash).
6) Your new file should be labeled as "genres.plist.txt" once you've made your changes. Now, click command + i to get "get info". Then, rename the file to erase the ".txt" at the end. Once you close out of the "get info" window, it will ask you if you want to use ".txt" or ".plist". Choose the latter option.
7) Open itunes and voila!
*NOTE: Scottkbinder's 18th step is not necessary.