1 55 56 57 58 59 Previous Next 1,380 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Bennet-Alder Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 840. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,330 points)

    Anic264b wrote:

     

    even if fairly acceptable,

    Who decides what is "fairly acceptable" You?, Me? or .......

  • 841. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    OGELTHORPE Level 7 Level 7 (25,675 points)

    Anic264b, greetings;  I would have to differ with you regarding criticism of Apple products.  It has been my observation that if presented factually and in a civil manner the comments are not excised.  I have voiced my dissatisfactions on more than one occasion without any interference from the moderators.

     

    When improperly presented any such posting should and hopefully will be edited or deleted.  I would suggest you hold judgement until you have observed more on this forum regarding this aspect.

     

    Ciao.

  • 842. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Anic264b Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

    Ok, it's possible you're right. However, I don't understand why Apple guys never answer in this forum. It's known as a “user-to-user” forum, right, but that doesn't mean they have to not read nor answer.

    Anyway, thank for sharing your opinion.

  • 843. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,640 points)

    Simple fact is Apple never admits anything is ever wrong with any of their product unless they are forced to. Like the iPhone 4 Antenna problem to name one.

    So if they posted on this forum they would be in a way admitting something May Be Wrong with one of their products.

    Similiar to when you do have a problem and read numerous posts about it on this or other forums and reports of people going into the Genius Bars and or calling Apple and them saying "We've Never Heard About This Problem Before". Plausible Deniability. Although not very plausible.

    Anic264b wrote:

     

    Ok, it's possible you're right. However, I don't understand why Apple guys never answer in this forum. It's known as a “user-to-user” forum, right, but that doesn't mean they have to not read nor answer.

    Anyway, thank for sharing your opinion.

  • 844. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    macssam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    we the users are apple

  • 845. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Thorador Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yep you are correct. Also is anyone here wonder why we can only like a comment and no opption to dislike. Plus why is the word "]-[ E L L" censored? In this case I want the word heaven sesored too. What if i am a de vi l worshiper in america i have that right. And heven should be offensive to me.

  • 846. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Thorador Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    macssam wrote:

     

    if we stop complaining

    products will not develope

    Bingo! Also I though that Apple always claims that it is a user oriented company. Not destortion field dictatorship.

  • 847. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    lenn5 Level 4 Level 4 (2,530 points)

    I think what gets me and alot of people frustrated is Apple's lack of consistancy when dealing with this issue. They seem to be repairing a very small percentage of MBPs with this problem. One person goes into an Apple Store and the "genius" says sure we'll fix this free of charge. Next person goes into 3 different Apple Stores and calls Apple Care. All say no. Some others get a fix even though the 4 years has expired while others are told it's been over 4 years so you're out of luck.

     

    The computer industry needs a system like the Auto industry has. If a faulty part has been installed in a car there is a recall. You don't have to take your car into the dealer and beg the service guy that they should replace it free of charge.

     

    Apple should have done the right thing and done a recall on these MBPs with the faulty GPUs. They knew which lot of MBPs contained the GPUs.  Instead they saved NVidia who was footing the bill on these repairs a few dollars and probably lost a bunch of loyal Mac users in the process. Not good customer relations IMHO.

  • 848. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    OGELTHORPE Level 7 Level 7 (25,675 points)

    Csound1, greetings;  I find it interesting that there are Apple detractors and critics who find fault with Apple and its products and laud the superiority of PCs, especially Dell.  One would be led to believe that Dell, HP and others were perfect and that Apple was the 'evil bad boy' of computer manufacturers.

     

    A quick search led to these two articles which are only two of a plethora of similar ones.

     

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

     

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030266-64.html

     

    This is not to suggest that Apple is a paragon of virtue, but the critics should be advised that a balanced picture is more desirable than a narrow expression of personal petty prejudices.  One must ask the question why one even bothers to use a MBP if it is so inferior and simply use their Dell? 

     

    Ciao.

  • 849. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    daddeo2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    All well and good, companies cutting costs, with low quality bits... surprise. However, you can easily replace bits for alot cheaper. A video chip can be on a card in your laptop, that could be replaced for under $100. Faulty "bits" can be repalced every 4 or 5 years easily on a PC. Apple has gone "all in one" so there are really no "bits" you can replace, so if a pat fails, th whole unit has to be replaced at Thousands of $$$.  Not good, poor design, and Apple will pay down the road. I tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends...and so on and so on...

    I have already talked 4 people out of buying a macbook pro. They keep looking at the forums here and smiling, because they don't have the worry. Some have gone to Linux, and others just put up with Microsoft.

     

    Apple should lose marketshare over this one, just as RIM did with the Blackberry. That is what happens when you get over confident.

  • 850. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Anic264b Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

    daddeo2 wrote:

     

    Apple has gone "all in one" so there are really no "bits" you can replace, so if a pat fails, th whole unit has to be replaced at Thousands of $$$.  Not good, poor design, and Apple will pay down the road.

    The waste of material (all the components that are still working but are replaced) is also a giant concern.

  • 851. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    poikkeus1 Level 3 Level 3 (965 points)

    OGELTHORPE's point is well taken. A number of laptops suffer from similar issues.

     

    Put another way, using your machine with care (that is, watch the temperatures) will make a long computer life. Using your machine at high temperaturesrisks all sorts of potential problems - whether your device is from Apple, Dell, or Asus.

     

    I can imagine the anger some users here feel at having to pony down for an expensive logic board. That's why I'm resolved to avoid the problem in the first place.

  • 852. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Thorador Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Anic264b wrote:

     

    Thorador wrote:

     

    As I was reading message to me they did not want me to see. They deleted that post and probably forsed a server poll. This made the message on my makbook disapear from mail. I read half way.

    When you say “from mail”, were you actually reading a mail version of a post in this forum?

     

    This supposed to be a free environment and not one where you need control to cover up your mistakes in production. Apple supposed to recall these products on their own not make our work living ****. They rather spend the money on that then help us fix the problem. Pathetic behaviour if you as me. This is dispicable.

    Yes, I agree (of course, since you're right). Money is a problem in this world, as it makes people doing the wrong things just to earn more.

    The mail program within apple os. It starts with the stamp icon.

  • 853. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Bear grabber Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    The problem for me was not being aware of the options I had for controlling the computers temp.  It never occured to me that I would have to take an active role in finding out about downloading a 2nd party's utility or that the utility even existed before my MBP crashed. Logic board toast.  No amount of visits to the genius bar offered me any real palitable options as the machine was less then 2 years old and I didn't spring for Apple care as I feel its a rip off for a company to not stand behind it's product when it fails due to manufacturing problems.  They did come through for me but not until I suffered extraordinary inconvenience, three trips to the genius bar at 3 hours round trip a pop, 2  weeks with an incompetant Apple approved vender who kept telling me the machine was fine even though it was exibiting the same X in the battery and crashing mid session, not to mention professional damage when the unit froze up in the middle of a project while others were waiting on my to cover my end.  Finally I got a new logic board from the Tennesee plant on Apple's dime, thank you Apple, and then took it upon myself to research how to keep it running cool.  No one at Apple is offering this advice or these possibilities.  Why doesn't Apple install a fan controller on these machines?  By the way the diagnotic people told me my machine was opperating withing it's heat tolerances.  If that was the case why the catastrophic failure?  Yes these problems exist in other brands of lap tops but then they're a 1/3 of the price so I could buy three and get years of good service that way. Don't get me wrong, I love the OS and the design and lots more about Apple however, when I ended up with a $2000.00 paper weight at a year and a half I was none too pleased I can tell you, nor could I retreive my data off the hard drive.  The $310 option for logic board replacement doesn't guarentee you'll even get the same hard drive back, not to mention the sensitive data that was on it.  No this is not good for this company I'm sorry.  None of the options offered at the Genius Bar were acceptable.  They need to deal with this issue.  They need to tell people they have options for downloading fan controllers.  Perhaps they should include that in the manufacturing process.  I could go on.  For the moment this machine is working great again, will I buy another MBP, maybe a 13", my wife is having none of these problems with her machine and it's older than my 15" mid 2010.  Now I'm gun shy but much more informed.

  • 854. Re: MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure
    Thorador Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Acualy I was told by genius that use of these fan control utility may void the waranty. So they are full of it.

1 55 56 57 58 59 Previous Next