Let it run. I tested this with a 500 GB Library. Reconnecting all Originals took 80 hours of processing time on my 2012 rMBP.
I found no reliable way to determine if anything was actually happening at any point. The progress bar was useful for rough estimates (at 24 hour I calculated that it would finish at about 80, which is the only reason I let it run; it did). iStat (a front end for Activity Monitor, afaict) reported either single-digit percentage of CPU to Aperture (on a quad-core machine), or else just over 100%.
The "Not Responding" message misleads (Apple needs to change this, imho). Force quitting causes additional problems.
The reason for my test was to do determine if it was faster to move Originals using Finder, and then reconnect them using Aperture, than it was to simply use Aperture to relocate them. I concluded that I was better off using Aperture to relocate Originals.
I was copying/moving between external USB3 drives. I did not try this on a RAID.
Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger
Thanks, Kirby. I had planned to let it finish up.
Aperture has definitely regressed with this function; I was able to reconnect to my entire library (about 4 TB) last time in under 12 hours.
Did I understand your email to say that you can use relocate masters (or "originals" now) to move referenced masters from one hard drive to another? If so, I will give that a try to see quickly that goes. I didn't want to use consolidate then relocate.
OK--I am back from vacation and want to report how this turned out for all who may be interested.
I had copied all of my referenced masters from on old RAID box to a new, higher-capacity RAID (the new RAID will be my working RAID: the old one will become my backup). I had assumed it would be an easy task to reconnect the masters for my entire Library at one time.
As explaned above, that didn't work out, so I picked a single project -- 20,233 Nikon nef raw images -- and tried to reconnect the masters for it alone. This task completed in just over 47 hours.
Then I did a test-- I relocated the masters for the project back to a holding folder on the original drive. This took about an hour and a half.
Now I'm busy relocating all my masters to the new RAID from the original drive.
I don't know whether the unacceptable sluggishness of the reconnect command is a function of my particular set up, but I will be praying that I never have to reconnect to your backup drive. Hopefully this issue will be addressed in Aperture 4 or Aperture X (whenever we see it).